Sears gas cylinder

Found in a bag of ammo. It says faintly in green paint “Sears, Roebock & Co, made in USA, do not heat”, also patent number but I can’t read it. Looks very archaic. I realize that these are used in air guns to expel BB’s. How old is it?

In my view the use for driving BBs is relatively new.
The original use of these carbon dioxide “cartridges”, as I know it, was for making “soda water” for drinks. It was screwed into a special bottle containing ordinary water. When “triggered”, the gas pressure created a jet of water enriched with carbon dioxide for a Whisky Soda, for example. I think this use at least goes back to the 1930s (judging from movies).

1 Like

The modern gas cylinders sold for CO2 powered pellet guns usually have “not for human consumption” printed on the sides. Some sources say that they contain a small amount of lubricating oil.

The food grade ones for making carbonated drinks are usually shorter than the BB gun type.

Vlad’s cartridges does look more like the BB gun size on my monitor.

1 Like

I have some of each,the BB gun ones are about 82mm long and the food grade ones are about 62mm long.Now having said that,the reason I have the short ones is that in 1950 I bought a Schimmel brand air pistol and it used the short ones called Sparklets…Pete.

1 Like

The two most popular sizes of Gas Cylinders normally used for CO2-powered airguns are 8 gram and 12 gram capacity. Both have been used for use in “BB” guns, with the larger of the two most popular in modern ones, and the smaller capacity perhaps more popular - I am not sure of that - in older guns. Both also have been sold for the carbonation of drinks.

John Moss

1 Like