Second post question on 7.52x54R 45 grain Cadet, traini

My second post and question.

Not too difficult to find nor expensive. 7.62x54R lacquered steel cased eastern bloc ammo.
Projectile only weighs in at 44 to 45 grains, a bi-metal, steel core, and obviously short bullet.
Luckily, has very high muzzle velocity, over 3,000 F/S…surprisedly cycles SVD’s!
I can see the use, as it has little felt recoil in the Mosin, as compared to standard issue type ball, so I can only guess it is for maybe training, or cadet type ammo?
Any info appreciated as to why such quantities were produced, when ballistics past 200 meters rapidly deteriorates, due to horrible ballistic coefficient.
Thanks
JackJ

I don’t know a thing about the specific round you are talking about. However, ultra light (and thus often high velocity) short-range rounds are used by a lot of countries for training in areas where even the military or police do not have access to safe, long distance ranges. They exist in many, many calibers, rifle and pistol. They are purposefully designed to have ballistic performance fall of quickly as range increases, to reduce safety hazards from errant rounds. That is the whole idea of them.

Just a round about way of saying I don’t really understand your question, as the title of your thread indicates you are speaking of Cadet or Training rounds, both often used on indoor ranges. :-)

Jack, I’m a bit confused also, if OK with the board, I’ll include this link… 7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm. It sounds like you have the Czech 45 grain hollow bullet practice round. They are hollow and do not have a steel core. The East German “training” round is shown with a 123 grain flat based steel core bullet at roughly 7.62x39 velocities. As John said, some places have limited room for ranges, and they would want to limit problems if rounds went flying over the berms. The EG stuff, (mine is in Bulgarian factory 10 dated 1989 copper washed steel cases) was porportedly for machine gun training, a heavier bullet to cycle the action. I’m a bit surprised the Czech hollow bullet would cycle an SVD. I treat it just like a 7.62x39 round regarding safety. Shoot a watermellon with the Czech round and it will give you an idea what it can do. Neither are to be dismissed as anything less than a lethal round. I gotta include this, all are corrosive and can rust your gun. Clean with hot water anywhere where soot can get. Google around, this ammunition is getting harder to find. Save a box or two for your collection. And water is your friend.

Jack, please show us an image of the round, the packing if available and tell us the headstamp.

Yes, I agree completely with shoeboxcollector. I didn’t mean to imply that short-range rounds are “less than lethal” ammunition. They are NOT. It is simply their distance of lethality that is reduced. They become “spent” at much closer ranges than do normal tactical munitions.

Hi all…Jackj, you still out there?..hopefully you’re hauling a case or two of this stuff into the house…It’s dried up here in Wisc. and if you like it, buy as much as you can. Sounds like this is the round that comes packed 12 to a box (not 20) is in a 900 some round wooden case, bxn headstamped from the 1962 to 1965 period. All had white tip markings that I’ve found, any deviation may be a tracer, which I think had a green tip?. Apologies all, I’m new, I have a modest collection of a few thousand rounds and I know we are mostly concern with cartridges, not shooting. I am in heaven digging thru a box of loose cartridges looking for almost anything. I see at shows mixed bags of 7.92 and 30-06 sold as " 06 ammo" and have to warn people, most have no clue of headstamps unless it’s clearly written. Also the guys getting rid of bore rusty mausers, mosins and mannlichers because noone told them about corrosive. I’ll try to keep it to cartridges in the future, and hopefully Jack isn’t cussing right now cleaning his SVD. To all a happy 2015!!!

Regular S&B short range projectiles are painted with a white tip.
Tracer variant has a dash of a teal colour over the white.

Ole

Thank you; John, Shoebox, and EOD for the input. I am learning- as being new to the IAA and using "forums"
That It is best to include a picture, and I should have included the headstamp information.
-Yes it is a white tipped round.
A round that cycles an MG or semi auto- that wont go off range, especially in a country that does not have ranges like the USA- that now makes perfect sense!
(I first thought its primary purpose was the reduced recoil for teens in military schools shooting the Mosins)
…but a country with limited "Impact areas " would definitely want something that will function the weapon- but not “reach out and touch” someone in a nearby town.
Yes- from my experience it would definitely have good terminal ballistics, even past 100 meters (grouped surprisingly well, no key holing.)

I will post pictures with my questions in the future,and thank you John and SB on the advice of quickly clean, due to the corrosive nature.

I am still trying to get the “hang” of the best place to put posts…maybe more time reading the instructions- on my part- would help :)

JackJ