FA/51 orange tip, zinc primer
RA/41 red tip, lend lease
REM-UMC red tip, commercial
Super X orange tip, commercial
Kevin

Very cool

Kevin

The usual good job.

What is the headstamp of #5? A simple RA 41? Do you have something to indicate it was lend-lease as opposed to a Remington contract?

Also, do you have anything to indicate what the 2 commercial tracers were used for?

Ray

Ray,
Better late than never! Sorry.

The two commercial tracers are legit but the friend I got them from has no real hard info on them. In both Marcello’s and Punnett’s books the are believed to be special order lots loaded for exhibitions, trick shootings, movies, etc… The Super X according to Punnett’s were loaded in the 1950’s for Westerns exhibitions shooting team (Herb Parsons).

The lend lease really needs to be in a box to verify, but Remington did supply a special lot of cases in 1941 for practice tracers to the UK (Punnett).
I don’t have that exact round anymore, my version with the head stamp RA/43 has the heavy secondary primer ring that you see on some of the other British rounds at that time on 30.06. You can almost see it in the picture above.
Also notice on that round the 1 grain of gun powder that’s is contaminating the bottom of the tracer compound!

Thanks Pat for the info, hope I got it correct.

Kevin

My understanding of the commercial tracers is the same as yours. I thought maybe you had discovered some new information.

The heavy ring crimp is typical of many of the Remington cartridges during WW II. It was originally used on contract rounds for GB before our entry into WW II. When Remington began producing ammunition for our (US) use, they were given permission to continue using the crimp, so it can be found on cartridges as late as 1945. Without the box they came from I think it would be impossible to confirm if they were contract, lend-lease, or standard production.

Regardless, thanks again for your posts.

Ray