Sectioned 7.62x54 rounds

3 Russian 7.62x54 rounds. APIT for ShKas steel case 1940, has 3 projectile cannelures to reduce bore friction. API for ShKas 1940, and ShKas Ball. Sectioned by Rob Sweet.

Very nicely done. I need some like that for my collection.

There are also HE, red tip , Tracer , green tip and incend. , purple tip . All of which are rarer than what you show. The HEs used to be all over for sale but the shooters enjoyed watching them pop and fired most of them up. The green and violet tips have always been hard to find.

Shkas cartridges Incendiary PZ with red tip (the construction is similar to German B-Ptrone, but without phosphorus) and tracer T-46 with green tip is quite common.

You right, AP-T cartridge (not shkas) with purple tip is rare, because it was adopted in 1932 and soon (in 1936) replaced by API-T cartridge BZT with red-violet tip.

SteveF - nice cutaways!

I have heard of an early ap round that’s hard to find also.

Of course, experimental models always hard to find.

May be first mass-production USSR AP was bullet designed by Boino-Rodzewich. Bullet design was similar to English Mk VII bullet, but with hardened short steel core instead of British aluminium core

In 1930 new AP bullet B-30 with black tip was adopted. The design was similar to German SmK bullet. It’s not very rare. In 1932 new API bullet B-32 was adopted and by the WWII B-32 gradually exclude B-30 from service. B-32 had black-red tip.

[quote=“treshkin”]Shkas cartridges Incendiary PZ with red tip (the construction is similar to German B-Ptrone, but without phosphorus) and tracer T-46 with green tip is quite common.

You right, AP-T cartridge (not shkas) with purple tip is rare, because it was adopted in 1932 and soon (in 1936) replaced by API-T cartridge BZT with red-violet tip.

SteveF - nice cutaways![/quote]

Where ?

[quote=“DrSchmittCSAEOD”][quote=“treshkin”]Shkas cartridges Incendiary PZ with red tip (the construction is similar to German B-Ptrone, but without phosphorus) and tracer T-46 with green tip is quite common.

SteveF - nice cutaways![/quote]

Where ?[/quote]

If you ask me about rarity of the cartridges, I my answer - in Europe and, of course, in majority of CIS countries

I don’t know what a CIS country is. In the US of A they are not common. Send a couple of boxes over.

CIS - Commonwealth of Independent States, former Soviet Republics en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonweal … ent_States

Of course, in USA this models of cartridges could be not common. As well as, for example, 30-40 Krag not so common in Europe. But I know people who buy some of these 7,62x54R cartridges at USA Cartridge Shows without problems. May be it depend on the State or luck.
In the same time, it is possible to find them in Europe, buy and send to USA. All depend on desire for find this specimens, I think.

I often envy collectors in Europe and USA who can quite easy to buy collectible cartridges, boxes, mags, MG belts, etc. at the internet-sites or Cartridge Shows. Here, in Ukraine and Russia, we can collect only drilled rounds . And even this type of collecting our militia (i.e. Ministry of Home Affairs) dislike very much.

You will not have long to envy. “Change you can believe in” is coming.

Thank you! Hope, you are right
Will wait for “cartridge revolution” in post Soviet countries:) At least, in Ukraine:)

Sorry, not explained properly. The change is coming HERE and it will not be good.

THAT’S FOR DAMN SURE !!! M. Rea