Sectioned British 20Pdr APDS-T Round

I just finished restoring this beautiful British 20PDR APDS-T round. It had some magnesium oxidation on its sabot that needed some cleaning and sealing. I then broke it down into all of its inert components and polished the case, primer, and projectile parts. Pretty excited about it :-)

Jason

Awesome job! As a former U.S. Army tank commander on an M60A3, I can really appreciate the large ordinance!

Michael

Michael, it is GREAT having you on board here at the IAA. I primarily collect inert tank fired DS specimens so it is nice having someone else into this stuff here :-) On a separate note, thank so much for your service to our Country. You are extremely appreciated. Do you have any photos of the ammunition you fired from your tank?

Jason

VERY SWEET !

Thanks, Dr. Schmitt! I am so excited about this one. Definitly one of my favorites in my collection.

I LOVE IT!!!

Agree with the rest Jason, very, very nice job you’ve done there. Have a 1954 20 pounder case myself, but only have a (now unpainted) BE smoke grenade for it.
Soren

Thank you everyone. This is definitly one of my fav’s in my collection. I would love to see a photo of your case and BE Smoke projectile you have, Soren :-)

J

Certainly :-)
I do have a reservation about taking pictures of ordnance out in the garden, as the neighbours might misunderstand it. Therefore the indoors pics.
The whole setup:

The base ejecting smoke grenade and its fuze. Now its mostly a hollow thick-walled tube…

And the case head. The concentric circles are the scrapping stamp from AMA (together with the drilled hole)

Soren

WOW!

That is a beautiful round! Thanks for posting these pictures. I would not have imagined the amount of the projectile that is below the crimping. Very nice! The fuze is awesome.

Jason

[quote=“mausernut”]Certainly :-)
I do have a reservation about taking pictures of ordnance out in the garden, as the neighbours might misunderstand it. Therefore the indoors pics.
The whole setup:

The base ejecting smoke grenade and its fuze. Now its mostly a hollow thick-walled tube…

And the case head. The concentric circles are the scrapping stamp from AMA (together with the drilled hole)

Soren[/quote]

Showing this stuff to neighbors is a big mistake.

A fellow who I knew in Arizona had an “open door” policy at his house where the kids and their friends could come and go as they wished even through his collection room. " I have nothing to hide".

He had the local authorities including BATF and fire marshall called 3 times resulting in 1 arrest ( they didn’t like his attitude) .

He evetually lost his job at the near by army base due to his " collecting".

Show this stuff to neighbors only if you are suicidal or like visits from the authorities who may not like your attitude.

Does the “BE” on Soren’s 20 Pdr smoke projectile stand for, “Base Ejecting?”

Jason

[quote=“APFSDS”]Does the “BE” on Soren’s 20 Pdr smoke projectile stand for, "Base Ejecting?"
Jason[/quote]Yes.
Not sure if it was three or four hexite (ZnCl2) packets blown out of the tube, but it made the grenade unstable in flight, so it tumbled to the ground and could be found intact 90% of the time.
The fuze is a powder trail type and can be disassembled in rings and aluminum point.
I have seen pictures of this type painted light green with the shoulder under the fuze some sort of dark red or brown.
Soren

Thank you so much for the great explanation, Soren. Appreciate it a lot. I just found these two photos of what I think may be your projectile painted?

Jason

That was the pics I found too. Some sort of aussie restoration project I think. I have waded through a multitude of british manuals on ordnance marking, but not found the exact match for this mark 1/L BE smoke round. It’s as if that period (1945-60) is secret or just not available when it comes to manuals…
Right now I am looking at youtube videos -thankfully mostly in colour- to see if anything turns up :-)
Soren

If you find any good links, post them if you can :-)

J

[quote=“APFSDS”]Michael, it is GREAT having you on board here at the IAA. I primarily collect inert tank fired DS specimens so it is nice having someone else into this stuff here :-) On a separate note, thank so much for your service to our Country. You are extremely appreciated. Do you have any photos of the ammunition you fired from your tank?

Jason[/quote]

Jason, I gave away a 105mm elec primed case to a friend many years ago. He still has it an I can see it in his shop when I visit him. He just wont let me obtain it back! :( I do remember though, it was from a SABOT round.

I’ll keep working on him.

I’ll have to go through all my photos from the good old days. I know I have a bunch from my Tanker days but i’m not sure if I have any pics of the munitions. I’ll dig around and see.

Michael

Excellent! I would love to see your photos when you find them. Also, curious about your case you gave to a friend. Guessing it is a 105MM M148A1B1 case. If you do go by and see it, try examining it to see what it says on its primer. I am on the hunt for a M148A1B1 case fitted with an ELEC M120 primer which has a primer extension tube running up the center of the case stopping 7 inches from the case mouth.

Jason

Jason, I can picture that primer tube up the middle. I’ve seen plenty of them. I’ll try this weekend to go by there and get a pic from my Iphone.

Michael

Thanks, Michael.