Sectioned XM144 Flechette

XM 144 Flechette
5.6x44
FAT148 case
hs WCC 63
1st Generation SPIW

Never though about this until I have seen the sectioned round, the Fletch must have been pulled out of the case rather than blown out. So when did the Fletch pass the green plastic plug? how could you hit the broad side of a barn by pulling a projectile rather than projecting it? Thanks Vic

Vic, the sabot was stripped off at the muzzle by a special stripping attachment.
The ballistics (I think) are pretty much the same as with a pusher sabot.

If you can do check on the book “SPIW - The deadliest Weapon that never was”. A highly interesting publication.

Ray,

Thank you for sharing the fruits of your inquisitive endeavors! Great “pull-down” picture. That’s a keeper for sure.

For lack of the “on the huge list to get” reference EOD mentions, I’ll have to ask here: Were any conventional (ball, etc.) loadings ever made with the cases used for the XM144 or XM216?

Dave

Dave

I’m not big on the flechette cartridges so someone else can probably better answer your question, but I do know this much.

The four original SPIW flechette cartridges (XM 110, 144, 216, and 645) can be found loaded with copper “bullets” that were used for function testing the rifles. As far as I know, that was their only purpose.

In the late 60s and early 70s the Army and AAI (Aircraft Armament Industries) made one last attempt to save the SPIW by loading a shortened XM 645 cartridge with a saboted 4.32mm bullet (middle cartridge in the photo). But this cartridge is probably more closely related to the Serial Bullet Rifles (SBR) and other micro-caliber experimentals.

Ray

One of the copper “bullet” cartridges. This one an XM144WE4.

I apologize for my photos. They were taken at different times over past years, are not to the same scale and none really show all of the cartridges in one shot. I tried to find three of the best ones. Someday I’m going to organize them and take new ones. . . Someday.

They do not do justice to the actual size of those tiny SPIW cartridges. Note the primer next to the case in the first photo. It is only .130" in diameter. Drop one on the floor and it’s lost forever.

Ray

Nothing wrong with those pictures!

I agree. Great photos. BUT, I still think Ray should retake pictures of every item in his collection. And post for all to see. And organize them fron .17 - the big stuff. And cross reference them to the original pictures. That’s what I think. Ya ain’t doin’ nothin’ else.

I’ll do it tomorrow.

Ray,

Thank you for the additional info and pictures. Neat little cases they are.

Dave

It’s tomorrow.

It’s tomorrow.[/quote]
No, it’s definitely today. It’s never tomorrow…

Can the Forum handle the panoramic shot that that would entail. I mean, like, that’d be, like, huge, man. Like Cool, Bruce.

It is definitely on my list of things to do tomorrow. I will post the new photos next week.

BTW Rick, I’ve seen photos of the inside of your Man Cave and I’d say you really need to get it organized. Do it tomorrow. For sure.

Mr. Meketa

Yes sir. Sir.

Gonna resurrect an old post. Where might I find an xm144w?

ETA: I just looked more at that picture and its wrong on the 144 case. It’s too big. I think it’s the 216.

jestertoo

I’m not sure what your asking. The XM144W is a distinct cartridge, very hard to find. You might try the dealers who are also forum members.

XM216 is not too common but not as rare as the XM144W. XM144 is very common.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]jestertoo

I’m not sure what your asking. The XM144W is a distinct cartridge, very hard to find. You might try the dealers who are also forum members.

XM216 is not too common but not as rare as the XM144W. XM144 is very common.

Ray[/quote]

In your image, the 144W case is completely different from the 144 and would never fit in the chamber. It’s much closer to the 216. I guess I was questioning the assertion that the the ones with copper bullets were loaded for function testing. If it’s a completely separate cartridge, then I understand.

The XM216, XM144, XM144W, XM110, and XM645 are five different cartridges. All of them can be found with the copper “bullets”.

Ray