Sections

12.7x99 FAP, FNB 89 (random case?)
20x82 French HE, 20?? 9-MR-80-F
7.62x49 LR Ball, steel core, FA49
7.62x51 DM151 AP, MEN 05

6 Likes

Very interesting items!
In particular the 20mm MG151. The paint job there is very unusual. Right now (given it is genuine) I would think of a French export but do not recall who could be the customer.
What is the hs on that one? Could you show us a photo?

1 Like

@EOD

Jess, you got any background info with that one?

Nice section, that 20mm is not often seen.

South Africa used the 20 x 82mm in a helicopter(Allouette) cannon, i have a few cases from there and Rhodesia, they are all MR headstamp.

1 Like

I have a South Africa 20x82 TP with headstamp “20mm A 86 BT”

Left France, right RSA.
Does this illustrate my point?

Zwischenablage

1 Like

Better pictures of lettering

The 20x82 is a contract for Argentina. Very nice sectioned example!

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Until the South Africans developed their own cannon for the 20 x 82 round they used French supplied weapons as fitted to their French supplied helicopters(from the 60’s). The South African round shown above has a lacquered steel case, the French is brass.

Fede, good to hear as I thought all the time of Argentina but never had a reference for this caliber there.
Do you know in which systems Argentina was using the guns?

Takapu, the RSA made Vektor GA1 is nothing but a slightly modified (if at all) MG151. No real justification for claims of an own development I think.

Is South Africa still using this beast?

Very limited navy use in MG 151 guns mounted in Alouette III helicopters. They used a forward firing configuration and not the usual side firing mount used by most countries.

Fede, very interesting! Was that in a gun pod then? Do photos exist? And when did they use them (from-to)? Are they phased out today?
What were the other loads used by Argentina?

Alex, models using this gun were purchased between 1970 and 1978, and the last one in service was phased out in 2010. The gun was not placed in a pod but in an open mounting; I’ll try to find pictures.

The only other cartridge variants I have seen are TP loads painted light blue made by Manurhin in the late 70’s to early 80’s.

Regards,

Fede

That’s a South African variant with the Vektor GA1 side firing gun.

MR = Manurhin, the major French manufacturer of such items at that time.

Fede, interesting again!
Do photos exist or manuals on the ammo?
Were the TP loads also marked in Spanish?

Alex, I don’t have the manual. In a few days I’ll post pictures of the TP load.