Semi-caseless shotshell - WRA, S&W?

Hello all:

I have a number of these 20-gauge “semi-caseless” shotshells that have accumulated over the years. One is marked “WRA Exp” in in on the side, but I haven’t been able to find any more information on them. Most have a disk of lime-green compressed powder with silver priming composition in the base. Unfortunately they’re proving difficult to get good photos of, but here’s one:

The color of the powder composition makes me think it is not WRA, but S&W or even Italian. That’s a SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) on my part.

Anyone know any more? I’ll try to get some better photos later.

Interesting, better to see images of the base…
Does it have a standad primer?

Here you go BadgerJack

1 Like

Please excuse my ignorance, are these somehow related to the ACR programme maybe?

Hi Dan,

These are Olin Matchieson Chemical Corp./Olin Corp. experimentals from the 60’s and early 70’s. Here is a list of related US patents:

US3580113A.pdf (391.8 KB)
US3613282A.pdf (525.9 KB)
US3680241A.pdf (545.7 KB)
US3728966A.pdf (483.5 KB)
US3618246A.pdf (355.1 KB)

Regards,

Fede

Those are just great Fede, thanks

Thanks, much appreciated!

That looks like it should be a speed loader for an inline muzzle loader. They make a double barrel 12 gauge muzzle loading pistol now with hammers. Being a muzzle loader gets past it being a short barreled shotgun. Being able to load it easier would make it a little more worth having.

I could see that, except for the larger base. Sure does make a lot of sense as I stare at it, though…