Serb 7x57mm

This round appears to be a normal 7x57mm with CNCS bullet. A similar headstamp is listed in the White Laboratory

Yes, the smokeless powder Mausers used by Serbia from the 1890s through World War One were of 7m/m caliber. JG

JG
Thanks for the info. I appreciate that.

Some of the rarest collectible Mauser rifles are the Serbian models. Serbia had adopted the 10,15x60R Black Powder Mauser in the 1870s, made by Mauser Oberndorf, and with Serbian design variations up to the 1890s, when they adopted the M1899 ( an imporved M95) in 7x57 calibre. they also modified some of their earlier Black Powder rifles to fire 7mm (Tubing).

Several varaints of the M99 followed in 1907, and then in 1910 there came a Full 1898 style Mauser (heavier receiver) in both long and short rifle…this latter is one of the rare ones.

WW I intervened, and most Serbian Mauser rifles were lost in the defeats and retreat to Salonika (now part of Greece) where the Allies set up a beach-head and resupplied the Serbs with French and British rifles…after the war, with Serbia becoming the leading part of the New Yugoslavia, 7,9mm was adopted, and most of the remaining 7mm “Serbian” Mausers were refurbished into new rifles on the short rifle pattern, or specific “Carbines” for Customs, Border Police etc. use. so one can get an M99/24, a M10/24 etc; They did similar things to Turkish rifles as well ( 7,9 M90T, M’03T).

Very few original “Serbian” rifles survived. And original Serbian made ammo is even rarer.
Kragujevac is an “Arsenal City” east of Belgrade, and had been a centre for armaments production from early times. By WW I, the main Serbian ammo factory and Army repair depot was there, Serbia relying on supplies of Arms from Mauser directly, and also Steyr, as a cartel sub-contractor.

After WW I, FN of Belgium set up a complete Mauser manufacturing plant at Kragujevac, for the productiuon of the FN M24 rifle, which became the standard Yugo rifle, as well as rebuilding their ammunition facilities.

At the beginning of WW II, Krag. was occupied for a short time by the Germans, then by the Communist Partizans, then by the Germans till 1944. After WW II, it became a major centre for repair, refurbishment and new production of Mauser type rifles, with an increased Commercial sector as well.
The Ammunition manufacture was shifted to a new plant at “Titovo Uzice” (now simply “Uzice” (pronounced “Uzitse”), under the name “Prvi Partizan”.

DocAV
Thanks a lot for the additional input.

The Serbs also had German Maxim machine guns imported from DWM and chambered for the 7x57 rounds.

The belts made by DWM look like standard German MG08 belts but are marked “KAL 7MM” inked on the fabric near the starter tab.
If anyone has such belt in his collection, I am looking for a nice picture of that inked marking.

Cheers,

JFL