Serbian 5.56x45 dummy

Studying the latest Yugoimport catalog I came across this 5.56x45 dummy in the well known plastic filled configuration.
Anybody who has seen one already and can provide one or more head stamps of these? (the box in the background does not belong to the dummy cartridge)

EOD - I can’t answer the precise question, but I can note that the only caliber I have in one of these blue plastic-filled dummies from Serbia is in caliber 7.65 mm Browning (.32 Auto). It is headstamped “nny-86 7.65” andf is the same pattern as the one you show. A shame more of these don’t show up as they probably exist in a lot of different calibers - perhaps all thos used by Serbia for the military, police, etc.

I also have a 7.62x25 Tokarev dummy with blue plastic filling.

There are several calibers.

Have these:

7.62x25 red + blue
7.65 Br. blue
7.62x39 red + blue
7.62x54R red + blue
7.92x57 red + black (which is an extreme dark and translucent red)
12.7x99 red
12.7x108 blue

As per their manuals there should be a 30-06 too.

Also have 12.7x108 blue.

Regards
TonyE

EOD - that is the first I have heard of a blue plastic-filled 7.62 Tokarev. Of course, the red plastic-filled dummies were also made in great quantity in 7.92 x 57 mm. I had a number of them in my collection. At least one appeared to be black plastic filled, and I saw that color referred to, but it is not correct. If held before a strong light, they are red also - just very, very dark. But then, I see that you have noted that.

John, I did mention it to you a while back when I got mine. If I can dig it out of the house packing, I’ll post a pic.

I didn’t recall that. Sorry. Great round; wish I could find one. “House packing?” Are you moving.

My youngest just graduated high school so my wife and I are looking for a place with a bit smaller house and a much bigger lot. I would really like to not see any neighbors, unless I want to! Unfortunately, to do that I need to sell my house. Parts of my collection, apparently including that blue-filled dummy, are in storage. I had to make my bullet office much more Politically Correct and “unoffensive”.

About a year ago I had a chance to section an example of a 5.56x45 blue plastic filled dummy as is shown in the first picture from EOD.

That brass case bore the H/S: nny 1998

It is interesting to note that EOD’s picture shows the holes in the case wall, but if picture was turned a bit more you would also see holes in the bullet which is a hollow jacket only and is also plastic filled.

Frank,

I think all of these Serbian plastic-filled dummy rounds have the small anchor point in the bullet.
I think they serve not just for ID, but to keep the plastic filler anchored to case and bullet for longevity in the usable life of the dummy round. I could be weong, but that is my take on it.

FrankN, thanks a lot for that info! Wish I would be in the lucky pos to have so many of these 5.56 to think about cutaways. Still seeking my 1st one.

John, that “hole” in the projectile jacket will hardly add to an anchor function since the jackets are hollow but in shape as the real final products, means the jackets are rolled in at the base (or have a torpedo base) and sowith secure the jacket in it’s position. Also the holes in the jackets (1 in total) are very small to pose a real anchor I think (if so).

Why else would they bother with such a small hole in the bullet jacket? It can’t be for further identification - you can barely see it they are so small. I wish I had an extra to cut into. I assumed, since the plastic is even with the outside of the case and bullet at the various holes, that the plastic was poured into the assembled base and bullet through the primer flash hole (probably enlarged from its original state) while in a molten state. I can’t think of any other way the plastic could protrude into the holes and be so perfectely even with the outside case and bullet jacket walls.

But then, I admit, I know nothing about the manufacture of such products.

Frank, did you get any impressions of the means of manufacture when you sectioned one?

John, I think the hole in the projectile is merely an escape hole for the air when the plastic is pressed into the cartridge through the channel where the primer pocket was before.

The cutaways I have seen did not reveal any specialties.