Serious danger to ammo and gun shows

The present American administration is proposing some kind of taxation based on the amount of miles a car drives. This may have a bad repercussion for various gathering when people (like dealers) have to drive great distances to the shows.
I know it is just a proposal and all theoretical. But stranger proposals became a law and stark reality.

This has been proposed several times, not enough support, doubt it will go anywhere this time.
Think about all the “soccer moms/dads” and boy scout/girl scout families, among others, who would get hit hard…

1 Like

Yeah the hit to interstate commerce would be insane, these wack job politicans will suggest the stupidest ideas. Hopefully in a few years we will have different people in office and stop this madness.

2 Likes

Buy an import car, they travel in kilometers.

2 Likes

Nice, thinking

2 Likes

Sounds like a form of user tax, which in many ways is seen as the most sensible. The roads need repair, who should pay for it? If you don’t use the roads you don’t contribute to their wear and tear, should you pay more for their upkeep (assuming that we all pay a portion)? As long as the tax goes for the purpose intended, it makes sense. The more you use something, the more share you accept for its upkeep. Every pays a portion because everyone benefits, but when costs continue to go up the ones using the service more often assume a greater share. Works for me, and I drive everywhere. I’d just like to see the damned roads fixed.

3 Likes

Never happen. The moment they put a device on a car to measure that some teenager will hack it.

2 Likes

Jeff,.

You are forgetting that here in the US we already pay road use taxes at both the federal and state level i.e. additional taxes on tires and on fuel, tax you pay when buy a new or used vehicle, toll roads… And many municipalities have road use taxes hidden in local sales tax and state or local issued bonds which are paid for by us the tax payer. In my state I pay a hefty license tag renewal for my vehicle ( and trailers) every year which is supposed to be used to repair and build roads. Not to forget the huge tax most states placed on truckers if that trucker wants to legally drive in that state. Oh and how about the additional GUEST TAX paid every time a person stays at a hotel/motel.

Something else to consider, why do newly constructed highways fail within 3 to 5 years and require major repairs or complete replacement? Only to fail again in a few years.

Just like the federal, state and local taxes someone pays when they buy a box of shooting ammo. The taxes collected never seem to be enough as reasons are dreamed up continually to collect more in taxes.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t be so bad if they actually used the tax revenue for what they are suppose to. The last time they proposed gasoline tax increase in this state over 40% of the revenue was going to be used for things other then repairing/maintaining the roads.
Zac

2 Likes

I wonder if you could invoice for wear on your tires (after all it is the roads on which you drive that wears them out), or perhaps give you a free steering realignment when you hit a pothole?

Yes - I know, I’m just stirring the pot…

1 Like

Darren, in US many (not all) states have an annual state inspection of cars, a small window sticker with a scannable bar, it also has the mileage at the time of an inspection (which is sent electronically to the state DMV). So getting that number can be very easy.
Florida, a densely populated state, is one of those “no inspection” states, be careful seeing a Florida car up north in rain and snow, they have bald tyres and no way to stop.

This is one of the many “surprises” buried in the second “Infrastructure bill” being jammed through Congress, which will be passed using “reconciliation” allowing it to get thru the Senate with only the 50 Democrat votes.
There is about 90% chance it will be passed. Politicians will not “vote against Santa Claus” and there is lots of “free stuff” in that $3.5 Trillion package which is actually more like $5 Trillion.

To keep this ammo related, 3.5 trillion is about 100 times the total number of rounds of all small arms ammunition produced in the U.S. during WW2;

Lt. Gen. Levin H. Campbell, Jr., Chief of Ordnance from 1942 to 1946, stated:
“From Pearl Harbor to V-J Day the Industry-Ordnance team furnished to the Army and 43 foreign nations 47 billion rounds of small arms ammunition, approximately 11 million tons of artillery ammunition, more than 12 million rifles and carbines, approximately 750,000 artillery pieces and 3/2 million military vehicles.”

1 Like

Simpe answer is that they are built- or resurfaced- to last only 1~3 years. In northern Virginia we have crews working around the clock, all year long, “resurfacing” roads. athey grind off about 2 INCHES of old pavement and put down the same.
One road near me has been “fixed” every year for the past 6 years, while my street has not been repaired for over 30 years!
The other side effect of this is heat retention and release at night, plus the added HUGE abmount of pollution generated by these crews… serious contribution to global catastrophy not mentiond by the global warming alarnists.
Does anyone remember when interstate highways were concrete? They lasted for generations.

And with that, I shall now dismount my High Horse…

1 Like

They have proposed the a similar road tax system here in the UK. It is their way of keeping the tax income from vehicles as combustion engines are phased out and electric vehicles become standard. The current intention of the UK government is to ban the sales of all new petrol or diesel powered vehicles by 2035.

In reality, this taxation by mile is another way to increase control and monitoring of the population. The pandemic has been a very convenient opportunity for governments around the world to increase surveillance measures.

2 Likes

Never say never
From the news coverage of a new proposal which is about to become a law:

Inside the infrastructure bill, there’s some hidden provisions that have raised some eyebrows, including having new vehicles include drunk driving detection technology and a per-mile user fee pilot program to potentially tax drivers based on mileage.

Thanks Vlad - some states in Australia have that too. We don’t but I wonder how long before they do.

1 Like

Something else I have noticed is that the multinational tech companies are eager to work with governments to restrict individual freedoms. They will be involved in developing the taxation by mile systems.

They are a danger to civilian ammunition and firearms ownership as many of these companies support anti-gun organisations and causes. Some also work to restrict access to information on firearms.

Almost a decade back, I personally saw that one UK home internet provider had classified the IAA Forum as “violence and weapons”. As such, there was an option to restrict access to the forum by minors. It was also sometimes restricted access at UK education facilities for the same reason.

1 Like

Due to electric cars and Hybrid cars paying little or no gas tax the states and most likely the feds will be working on a mileage tax.
I was on the news: There are current a pilot test in Washington State or Oregon State.
Not only so much per mile, but a varied rate : if your in rush hour traffic zone at rush hour you pay more per mile then if none rush hour.
Personally I would think it would be cheaper and easier to just check the mileage at registration time, but that would be to smart for the government to figure out.
Welcome to Brave New World.

1 Like