SETC 2018 - Strong Tank challenege ammo

I came across some photos of the SETC from June of this year at Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany. The Germans won, the Swedes took second, and the Americans were near the bottom as they bussied themselves flying through piles of junk cars with the M1A2s (litteraly). Some ammo photos below.

A Swedish soldier from the Wartofta Tank Company, Skaraborg regiment with what I presume is a 120mm TPDS-T rd for their Stridsvagn 122’s (Leopard-II’s).
swed

A British soldier from the Queen’s Royal Hussars handles some DS PRAC L29/A1 for the Challenger-II.
dsrac

A Ukranian soldier with a 125mm practice rd for their T-84 tank, and more of the that ammo on a tank
ukrain
uktank

They even drilled the secondary weapons with these Swedish soldiers working on a belt of 7.62 for their MG3A1. Every third rd is white / silver tipped… tracer/spotter?
1000w_q95

Here are the nice awards they give out -
awards

Meanwhile, the M1A2’s crushing cars -
46%20AM

3 Likes

Matt, what the Ukrainians (?) have on their shoulders is 120mm (German/NATO) dummies.

White tip in Sweden is tracer.

You guys can collect these cartridges. I will try to collect Swedish Tank Ammunition Handlers!
:-)

John M.

5 Likes

I totally agree John!!
😇😇

1 Like

Do you really think she is in need of an additional granddaddy?

Jochem, you better don’t underestimate us …

;-)

Peelen - I am only 79 years old. I can only dream at this stage of life, but I am not quite dead yet! Can’t let all you youngsters have all the fun! :-)

John M.

Pardon all this, but this Forum needs some levity once in awhile!

Well, I am 65 myself and also could be her granddaddy.
Nature has it that we look at them as if we were still about 30 or so. While it creates a “life is wonderful” feeling in us, I am afraid their view on us is very different.

The caption from the website where I found the photos said they were Ukrainian, so I assumed it was their own T-84 ammo. Maybe it was a relay race where each team carried identical NATO drill rds? Looks like they are each carrying a full ammo can as well.

Indeed it could well be that conditions had to be same level.

The boxes they carry also do not represent the Ukrainian issue I guess.

White.
http://www.amkat.se/index.php?Env=Ammo&Menu_A=30&Menu_B=70&Menu_C=20&Menu_Value_A=7,62x51&Menu_Value_B=Tracer&Menu_Name=Tracer

Any dummy tank round I have seen is black cased. The case is plastic and the round totally inert. The photo below it shows Soviet 2 piece tank rounds.

That is a Swedish contract 120 mm TPCSDS-T M324 made by IMI in Israel. Swedish designation is Spårljusövningsprojektil 01.

And this one is a US 120mm TPCSDS-T M865 Dummy made by the Training Support Center, Ft. Knox.

Regards,

Fede

3 Likes

Fede, I wish I could have daily access to your archives… or maybe just your brain! WOW!

2 Likes

I’m in love, with the 120mm TPDS-T rd but she also isn’t bad, at all. :-)

Just that ammo is backfiring less often…

• EDIT: I SHOULD HAVE READ, FEDE’s POST BEFORE POSTING LOL * * *

GREAT PICTURES!

The first one is an Israeli 120mm TPCSDS-T M324.

The second one is a British 120mm TPCSDS-T L29A1.

The third, are 120mm durable dummies simulating the German DM38 TPCSDS-T and the US Copies, the M865 TPCSDS.

Fourth, is Russian 125mm.

Really cool seeing these photos.

Jason

Excellent, thanks Jason