Sharps manufactures

I’m taking a small break from my U.M.C. project and want to work on a new checklist for a couple of weeks.

I want to compile a comperhesive list of Sharps cartridges.

Lets start with a list of manufactures or at least of companies that sold Sharps cartridges under their own name (Such as E.Remington & Sons whose cartridges were actually made by U.M.C.)

I know of the following: Pre-1930

Sharps Rifle Co.
E.Remington & Sons
Union Metallic Cartridge Co.
Winchester Repeating Arms Co.

After 1930:

Connecticut Cartridge Co.
Navy Arms
MM (Can’t remember the company name)

Did U.S.C.Co. or any non-US companies make Sharps Cartridges? How about Peters?

Ron, the 1869 U.S.C.Co broadside lists ten “Sharp.” calibers. And as Forrest said, that’s all I know about that.

Rich-Thanks. We can also add B.E.L.L. to the modern makers.

These are the Sharps bullets that I actually own. If you don’t get the answer you need here, let me know and I will get out my Sharps book. See picture of the ones I own. Hope it helps. By the way, I have a great 74 and great 78 Sharps rifles in the collection.

picasaweb.google.com/tonyg289/Sh … 8324319634

40-50
40-50BN
40-65
40-70
40-70BN
40-90
40-90BN
44-60BN
44-77
44-90
44-105
45-75
45-2.4
45-2.6
45-110
45-120
45-125
50-90
50-140

Tony–Nice group of Sharps cartridges. My next question after I determined all the makers and sellers was to ask for lists like you sent to determine all the loadings. Thanks.

What are the individual case lengths, headstamps and bullet weights if known. The image was a little dark, but they looked like all except perhaps 2 of them were Paper Patched. Are they all PP? Also, what primer does each have (No. 1 Berdan Rounded Brass, No. 1 1/2 Boxer Rounded Brass, Flat Brass, etc.)

You mention a Sharps book. What book is that?

All of mine except one of them are paper patched. I only listed the ones i own, I’m sure there are others, and I didn’t even think about the paper non metallic bullets earlier on. I was referring to Frank Sellers book on Sharps. It’s pretty much the definitive work on Sharps rifles. All of mine are Sharps manufacture, except 2-3 of them, and are without headstamp. They have large (#1?) primers that looks like brass and are round. Don’t have case lengths of all of them and no time directly to measure and categorize them. Hope all this helps though.

Ron: I didn’t understand whether you meant all small arms ammunition sold under the E. Remington name was produced by UMC or only the Sharps calibers. JG

MM is Murray McNicol of Great Falls Montana
And to add to the caliber list there was the rare .50 2" Sharps plus the short lived .50-70 Govt. loading which used the same 3 groove (below the mouth) bullet as the 2".

J.Gill–As far as I know, all of E.Remington & Sons ammunition was actually made by U.M.C.

Pete–Thanks for the information on who “MM” is (was?). Did he make any Sharps calibers besides .50-140?

I was not aware of the .50-2 inch. I only knew of the 1 3/4, 2 1/2 and 3 1/4 lengths in .50 caliber. What was the powder charge for the 2 inch?

BTW, I have many more listings than what Tony posted. I have around 100. I wanted to start out asking for information in an orderly fashion and thought I should establish who all made Sharps cartridges before tackling the case and load types.

We can add the following to the makers list:

Washington Arsenal

A.G. Fay, Potter & Tolman (Anybody have any information on this company)

H.W. Mason

C.D. Leet

Yes, pretty sure McNicol made other Sharps calibers. I think Gary Muckel had a pretty complete check list in an issue of the Nebraska Cartridge collectors newsletter.
Also there was the 52-70 Sharps as made by both Winchester and U.M.C. it was also/previously known as the .54 Sharps C.F., but you probably had that in your list.
The .50 2" is shown in Hoyem’s, Vol. 4, on page 29, as a ".50-85 or 90-450, 2""
Hope this is of help.

Pete–When you said "I think Gary Muckel had a pretty complete check list in an issue of the Nebraska Cartridge collectors newsletter. " did you mean a checklist of McNicol cartridges or of Sharps cartridges?

Add the following to the list of makers:

B R & C - Ballard Rifle & Cartridge Co - made obsolete cases including a line of Sharps cartridge cases for a period in the late 1990s.

T.G.S. (The Gun Smith) - I have this on a 44-90-2 5/8"

Nonte Taylor - I have this on a 45-120-3 1/4"

Regarding the Sharps cartridges headstamped with 2 stars, is it known who made these?

Am I correct in assuming that the Sharps cartridges made by Washington Arsenal, A.G. Fay, Potter & Tolman, H.W. Mason, and C.D. Leet included no center fire cartridges.

Ron
Gary had a check list of MM cartridges
Pete

We should all remember…back in the day…when the Sharps cartridges were being produced and used, they were known by caliber, case length, powder charge (sometimes)…and, straight or BN…soooooo…40-70 BN was known as 40 - 2-1/4 BN…FWIW…Randy

Guy–Regarding your question–“Am I correct in assuming that the Sharps cartridges made by Washington Arsenal, A.G. Fay, Potter & Tolman, H.W. Mason, and C.D. Leet included no center fire cartridges.”–These were all manufactures of the .52 Sharps Linen (Percussion) except the C.D. Leet. They made the .52 Sharps & Hankins, 1st Model, Rimfire…

As far as I know the cartridges with 2 stars are U.M.C., but I have never seen one in a box to prove it. But all the other characteristics are U.M.C.

Thanks for the names of some more Modern makers.

Pete–Any chance you could scan that list of “MM” headstamped cartridges for me?

Randy–We’ll get to the nomenclature soon. It is really a little more complicated than what you stated. But first I want to establish as complete list of makers as possible.

Thanks for all the help so far. Here is the list of manufactures and distributors that I have so far. Remember, this checklist includes the early paper, combustible and seperate primed Sharps products as well as Rimfire and Centerfire. If you can add any company names to the list, please post it. Also, Company locations for those that I have not listed a location for would be appreciated.

Known Manufactures and Distributors:

Pre-1930:

Sharps Rifle Works, Hartford, Connecticut

Sharps & Hankins, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

E. Remington & Sons

The 1891 USC catalog lists virtually the entire line of Sharps cartridges save for the 3-1/4 inch straights. Given that these USC loadings seem not to be known with headstamp its likely they were discontinued not too long after this list but before USC began headstamping centerfire rifle and handgun calibers. JG

J.Gill–Thanks for the U.S.C.CO. info. The latest catalog I have for this company is 1881. I wonder when they did quit making the Sharps cartridges. U.M.C. and Rem-UMC discontinued all Sharps listing by 1917. They still listed the entire line in the 1913-14 catalog. I don’t have the 1915-16 catalog so I don’t know what they listed in that catalog.

It would be interesting to compare the 1891 list with the 1881 list. Could you scan the 1891 list and send it to me?

Does anyone have a later U.S.C.Co. listing?

Ron: I can’t do scans but would be glad to send you photocopies of the Sharps pages of the 1891 USC catalog. If this is helpful to you contact me via a personal message. JG

Pete-- You said “Also there was the 52-70 Sharps as made by both Winchester and U.M.C. it was also/previously known as the .54 Sharps C.F.”

I have the .52-70 listed in two case lengths, 1 1/2" and 1 3/4". You say these were made by both UMC and Winchester. Are you sure that UMC made this case. It is not listed in their catalogs, but then neither is the .50-140 and we KNOW they made this type.

I also have the .54 Sharps listed. You indicate this is the same as the .52-70. Any documention?