Shipping live ammo - illegal?

A friend here in Maryland sold a box of .22s over Auctionarms. He took it to the UPS store to ship. The manager would not take it claiming that UPS,FEDEX and DHL ALL require live ammunition be be shipped only between licensed dealers. Has anyone else encountered this ?

Pure ignorance. I ship and receive live ammunition via UPS on a regular basis. The deal is that the “UPS stores” are independant franchises and often will not accept shipments of live ammunition out of ignorance, bias or stated policy of the owner. UPS will and does accept live small arms ammunition as a matter of course, provided it is properly labeled as “ORM-D” and shipped “ground” only. There have been reports of regular UPS customer counter employees being ignorant of this or biased against firearms/ammunition and refusing to accept shipments, but it is not UPS policy. The easiest method I have found to avoid all the hassles is to create an on-line shipment at the UPS website, pay by credit card and print out my own shipping label. All one has to do is drop the package off at a UPS location or give it to a UPS driver and it is as simple as that. When you tell the folks that it is “pre-paid”, they could care less what the package is since they don’t have to do any work to process it.

AKMS

Your other option is to take the pakage to the shipping counter at the UPS ‘depot’. As AKMS said, there is the possibility that the clerk there will say you can’t ship it, in which case you can ask them to call the regional office so you can speak to the hazardous materials person there, who will likely be able to set the clerk straight. As long as you have the package labeled correctly (ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition) and indicate on the shipping form that the package contains small arms ammunition, you should be okay.

I have had similar experiences with “ignorance” or “politics” at the UPS locations…The couple of times it has happened…I have called their “Hazmat” department and they have stated…take the box back to the UPS counter, and if the clerk has problems, have them call the Hazmat Dept. so we can “straighten the clerk out”. AKMS is correct…the “UPS Stores”…“will ship anything UPS ships”…EXCEPT AMMUNITION !!!..This seems to be the policy at all of these locations…

I have shipped live ammo UPS and there was no extra fee as long as it was under .50cal. Some clerks freak out then you say “live ammunition though”

-Josh

@CSAEOD: As others have noted this is ignorance. It can also be the political agenda of a terminal manager or driver, as well. They are given a lot of latitude in accepting packages and I had the experience of receiving a line of complete BS about a non-existent Federal law with one terminal manager. FedEx is the same way. DHL will not ship ammunition under any circumstances.

As others have advised, when a problem with a counter drone or other personnel occurs, the best way to overcome it is to refer them to a regional or corporate HQ office where the personnel know the regs and policies. Don’t waste your breath with idiots.

I think this is a national policy with UPS Stores. I have never had problem number one with shipping live ammo by UPS as long as it has the ORM-D sticker on the package, and no one has ever asked even the caliber. The only question I got years ago from a new driver, when I was still working in a gun shop, was wwhether or not it had any high explosive ammo in it. (Might not have even been a personal package - we shipped ammo all the time). I wasn’t sure if he was talking about gun powder, but it turned out he was pretty astute. He was talking about HE rounds.

None of the UPS stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area will touch a package with ammo, so again, it seems to be country wide.

The UPS offices here have no problem with it - it is not just because I worked in a gun shop with a daily pickup service that I had no problem.

People are overlooking the material already posted on the IAA website concerning transportation or shipping of ammuntion at http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm
READ IT!!!

A vendor who sells the required labels has provided their own summary of the applicable federal laws, DOT regulations and UPS policies at http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html
His information related to the Post Office is incorrect and the U.S. Postal Service bans shipment of “ammunition” although they apparently do not have a definition of the term anywhere to clarify that restriction.

The necessary “ORMD- SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION” labels are available at http://www.adazonusa.com/ormdcartridgessmallarmslabels214x138-p-1825.html where you can get a roll of 1,000 for about $15.00 (share with your friends!) You can also run off a bunch on your computer’s printer if you are cheap.

Note the “training requirement” by the feds. If you ship any ammo, it would be good to make sure you do the “self training” and document it, just in case someone wants to harass you someday.

It helps to live in a place that is gun friendly. At the UPS in beautiful downtown Linden they look at the ORM D sticker and ask, “Hey, are you a shooter or a collector? I’ve got this 30-06 that I need some help with.”

Ray

[quote=“John S.”]People are overlooking the material already posted on the IAA website concerning transportation or shipping of ammuntion at http://cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm
READ IT!!!

A vendor who sells the required labels has provided their own summary of the applicable federal laws, DOT regulations and UPS policies at http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html
His information related to the Post Office is incorrect and the U.S. Postal Service bans shipment of “ammunition” although they apparently do not have a definition of the term anywhere to clarify that restriction.

The necessary “ORMD- SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION” labels are available at http://www.adazonusa.com/ormdcartridgessmallarmslabels214x138-p-1825.html where you can get a roll of 1,000 for about $15.00 (share with your friends!) You can also run off a bunch on your computer’s printer if you are cheap.

Note the “training requirement” by the feds. If you ship any ammo, it would be good to make sure you do the “self training” and document it, just in case someone wants to harass you someday.[/quote]

Good advice all around. Thank you.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]It helps to live in a place that is gun friendly. At the UPS in beautiful downtown Linden they look at the ORM D sticker and ask, “Hey, are you a shooter or a collector? I’ve got this 30-06 that I need some help with.”

Ray[/quote]

In the DC area one is as likely to meet a SWAT team or a gang member when boxes marked “ammunition” start showing up.

I agree that it can be ignorance, a political agenda or a combination of both. On the political line I have seen more than I care too. However ignorance or maybe flat out stupidity is the one that has stuck with me. I once had to convince a clerk that New Mexico was actually a state of the Union, just like Georgia or Alabama. She then had to call her manager to be sure. It probable would have taken less time just to fill out the customs form but I felt obliged to try and educate the poor soul.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

-signed, A Frustrated Social Studies Teacher.

Of ignornace there is no lack. My hat is off to ALL the teachers who daily try to stem the rising tide of misinformation and out right deceptive ideation being broadcast in every medium. They are the front line troops in a losing battle . OUR WORSE ENEMIES ARE DOMESTIC. I can’t find OLD MEXICO on the map just New Mexico and Mexico- WHAT ?

And don’t forget us up here in Vermont. That’s a part of Canada, right? Must be, because the capitol is Montpelier. Sure sounds French Canadian to me! Add to this the fact that untill only a few years ago, our driver’s licenses did not have a photo on them! Almost did not get on a plane in Atlanta one because the gate agent did not beleive that my Dl was legit!

AKMS