Shorter-than-standard 444 Marlin ammo?

Just received a box of once fired 444 Marlin cases , of Hornady brand.

10 of them are of standard ( 56.25 mm) length with nickeled primers , and the others are shorter ( 52.25 mm) with brass primers . I know that Hornady loads a special line of cartridges for lever-action rifles called “leverevolution” .This ammo is loaded with heavy bullets with plastic tips . Since the “leverevolution” bullet weights 265 grains instead of the standard 240 grains, would it be possible that the case is made shorter to accomodate the longer and heavier bullet?

No,the cases don’t look as cut down .They are once fired cases with the original (struck) primer , some signs of the original crimp ( the same crimp is on the standard cases)

Its an interesting post and one that has merit, Years ago I bought a .45 revolver that wouldn’t take standard length .45LC ammunition. With a parallel case the length is fairly arbitary and despite what we think its up to the manufacturers to decide how long to make them. There is no hard and fast industry standard that has to be adhered to.
There was a shorter length .45LC round that was around years ago and it looks as though my pistol was intended for those length cases.

As someone who spent years trimming and reloading literally hundreds of thousands of .38 Special cases to produce so called match grade ammunition I can tell you that case lengths can vary quite considerably even today…

Years ago it was more of of a free for all with manufacturers making a lot of cases deliberately undersize to ensure they fitted all the possible varients of chamber that might be encountered.

Its interesting interesting though that the question should arise with modern ammunition such as the .444 Marlin but maybe we shouldn’t think its so remarkable. The case is much bigger than it needs to be with modern powders.

Just read the answer on the Hornady website…

Loading FTX™ bullets requires some specialized techniques in certain
cases. To achieve a high ballistic coefficient we had to lengthen the
ogive, or nose, of the bullet. Sometimes this requires that the cartridge
case to be trimmed shorter than the suggested .010" under SAAMI Max
length that we recommend for conventional bullets. Follow prescribed
trim lengths exactly as presented in the FTX™ data for optimum results

That is because of the shorter cases…

Also 45/70 Government ammo comes out with shorter cases