Shotgun primers 209

can anyone till me what the 209 stands for?

Vince,

Without any documentation at all and nothing but a guess, I’ll venture to say it’s because the cap housed in the battery cup is .209" dia. The battery cup itself that presses into the shotshell is about .243" dia., for which a related designation would make more sense if that’s what “209” is about.

Once again, just a guess…

Dave

That is what I guessed too.

Okay, what about “109” shotshell primers, and Remington 58 shotshell primers?

Good point John. My answer is that I have no idea! It was a Remington No.57* I used to use for the “high base” Remington shells. They have a cap of .209" dia.(or there abouts) too…Battery cup is about .226 dia. The only one I could make any relation to anything with was the #209 and that was a WAG for why it’s called that at best. The designations may be nothing more than just assigned numbers and may have no relationship to dimentions or anything else for that matter. Perhaps a shotshell expert could weigh in on the matter? (JP?!) I never saw much rhyme or reason to many rifle / pistol primer designations either…Interesting subject none the less.

Dave

I have dismantled some “#209 Winchester " Battery cups, in order to ascertain the diameter of the primer cap for “reloading” purposes (once common in the early 1900s)…the Cap is actually .215” diameter, and Longer than either a Boxer cap of “.210” (Large Rifle) or Berdan 5,5mm (.217"). I suppose at a Pinch, a 5,5 Berdan cap could ber used to re-activate a fired Battery cup of the “209” or “245” persuasion.

PS , the “#245” ( also Winchester) is actually .245 across the Battery cup, and besides being a “Magnum” primer (no longer made) is useful in fitting to shells which have Loose primer Pockets ( such as 3-inch shells.) Normal Battery cups for 12ga etc, are from .241 to .243 across, depending on Maker and Lot.

There was a trade early on of supplying separate Cups, anvils and complete Primers in the early days of both shotshell AND express rifle cartridge reloading ( mention is made in either Taylor or another author on African hunting, where the shooter failed to include the anvil in his reloads, and the gun failed at a rather embarrassing moment ( Large dangerous beast), that being the reason Taylor ( or the author) insisted on only buying Kynoch fully assembled cartridges, done up in “Africa packs” ( in a soldered, tinplate Liner of 10 or 20 rounds), using Berdan, Corrosive primers ( reliability Plus).

( Collectible in the extreme these days, a sealed Kynoch “Africa” pack., or also a tinlet of “anvils” and “caps” for “Boxer patent” cartridge cases

Unless one is (a) supplied with a surfeit of Berdan 5,5mm Primers (b) has lots of time to spare © cannot get Battery cup primers easily, then the “reloading” of Shotgun primers is not worth the effort.

Whilst this topic could possibly sail close to the wind, on “Reloading”, the initial question was on actual dimensions etc. of the components and WHY they were given those “code Numbers”.

Regards,
DocAV
AV Ballistics.