Shotgun shell question

Hello,
I would like to get more info on these type of shot shells. I heard at the Ohio show that early shot-shells had fingers that held the wad in. Is this that type? Would l would like to know the circa of this shells and what it is called? I am wondering if this is a fake or an attempt to show an example of these early shells . The OAL is 2.87 inches, Its weight is 421.7 grams. Thank you, in advance!

IMG_20190617_103818|690x920

This type of arrangement was used on military and prison contract Winchester (or aka w/W.R.A.Co. HS) shells for the most part. Due to the loading & unloading after each shift it provided a lasting shell over the paper hull & the crimp was also more secure. These are probably WW II era or before. It’s not a dummy but a fired shell someone has reloaded as from the factory it had a factory topwad.(also notice the shellac or lacquer seal)
Win%20mil%20top%20wad
Other shells like G. Roth had three tabs built into the case that could be folded down to hold the top wad. Peters also has a shell with a method to hold the topwad but I’ve not seen an example.
%20Roth%20topwad%20tabs

1 Like

Many Many Thanks Pete,

You Knocked The Cover Off The Ball. Now To Find One Of Each That You Mentioned For Sale.

Stay Well, Joe

Joe,

Attached pic of the one by Peters

this add is dated 1888.

Jim

2 Likes

Many Thanks Jim

Depending on your country of interest here is another type to look out for.

Dscf0116

Dscf0118

1 Like

Two variation of the ‘fingers’ plus a sectioned example & a coiled blued-steel case with a raised " G 16 Bte" Gevard (patent) headstamp.
Standard%20championmat%20var%20small G%2016%20Bte%20coiled%20steel%20case%20hs

3 Likes

Hi Pete,
Are you sure it is a Gevelot case?
My first thought is Gavard.

I have a similar case with a smooth edge, andit was identified as gavard.

Maybe someone else can help us.

Regards rené

Your 100% correct Rene it is Gavard. I’ll edit my post to correct it & thank you very much.

I’ve heard of these without the crenellated mouth crimp, but can’t remember seeing one.

I must correct myself also.
I have a 16 ga pinfire, when you search for gavard you will find it.

Regards rené

In fact, Gavard cartridges were manufactured by the Fabrique Gévelot , but the design was Gavard’s
H A.N.D.
Phil