20 Godefroid 20 Liege
    12 Armax 12 Metalix
    FP
    12 Danarms 12 Danarms
    12 PTL
    16 J.Deussen 16 Bruxelles
    Austria C 16
    M& ?? (at 12 oc) W (at 7 oc) N(at 5 oc)
    12 (at 8 oc) C (at10 oc) 12 (at 12 oc) D (at 2 oc) 12 (at 4 oc) G (at 6 oc)
  1. What is the meaning of the R in the following hstp :
    N

On anything British ER usually means “Elizabeth Regina” and is a form of government stamp. It means in the reign of Queen Elizabeth but I am very unsure about its use on a shotgun cartridge.

The only thing it may be and I do stress the word may is that the British Government issued free shotgun cartridges to specially formed rabbit control boards for the control of rabbits around about the early 50s.(?) However, while the cartridges often had something to that effect written on the tube I am unaware of any headstamp and I only offer this up as a long shot.

The Shotshell with: 12 Danarms 12 Danarms
are Danish from 1983-1992
Lars

[quote=“m89”]The Shotshell with: 12 Danarms 12 Danarms
are Danish from 1983-1992
Lars[/quote]

Thanks Vince and Lars.
JP

I forgot, the name of the cartrigde manufactur for 12 Danarks 12 Danarms is of course Danarms. It was in business from 1983 to ca. 1992.
Lars

[quote=“m89”]I forgot, the name of the cartrigde manufactur for 12 Danarks 12 Danarms is of course Danarms. It was in business from 1983 to ca. 1992.
Lars[/quote]
have you a catalogue ?
jp

They did’t make any catalogues, only flyers.
Lars

I have lots of different Riot Control and special purpose ammunitions with 12 PTL hst.
Those are from england.

I believe “PTL” is “Primetake Ltd”.

It was probably a bird scaring cartridge or signal flare.

http://www.primetake.co.uk/product.aspx

Yes, PTL is Primetake Ltd.
Here is my PTL collection:

J-P,
Here is some info I have.

Selve-Kornbiegel-Dornheim A.G., S

thanks George !!

I will put hstps picture very soon

tahnks to all

jp

here are some hstps
jp

The E*R is not Elizabeth Regina Had one of these in an old sale & was told definately not Q.E. as much older than during her rein.
Never did get an answer as to what it was though.

Hello,
here are pictures of hstp and paper tube.
I don’t know when Shultze powder was repleaced by a better one.
I am pretty sure this shotshell is in the 1910 1920 years range
jp

[quote=“Pete deCoux”]The E*R is not Elizabeth Regina Had one of these in an old sale & was told definately not Q.E. as much older than during her rein.
Never did get an answer as to what it was though.[/quote]

Yes I started pondering over that after I had posted and realised the fact that it says Eley London made it sound too old. I take the London address to be Nobel House, Buckingham Gate SW1. That was also the address for Kynoch but it was the registered office rather than a factory or a shop.
I’m not sure when Eley stopped using “London” and started using Whitton (Birmingham) as its address, that might be a starting point for a date. I can tell you they were using London in 1926-27 because I have their catalogue,

Vince

You have an Eley catalogue of 1926-1927 ??

Are you sure it is not either a Nobel Industies Limited (for 1925) or Imperial Chemical Industries (for 1927) catalogue ?

In both cases, hstps should be Eley Nobel (or kynoch nobel) and not Eley alone, shouldn’t they ?

Anyway i don’t have a 1925 catalogue; I would be interested in scans (to trade them against Nobel Industries Limited catlalogue of 1925 for example)
jp

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I meant they were using London as their business address not on their headstamp. The headstamp then wwas Eley Nobel or Kynoch Nobel.

The catalogue in question is Nobel Industries and is actually 1925. The price list is 1926 I think, but the give their business address as SW1 (London)

I can only ever remember Eley using the Birmingham address in my lifetime so the change must have been before 1960s…

The catalogue is a photocopy but it is with Falcon now. If you want a scan I’m sure he will be only too happy. It only has a pricelist for shotgun cartridges. I would be very interested in getting hold of the pricelist for their metallic ammunition for that period.

I have an on going project on the cost of ammunition relative to income levels for each decade of the 20th Century. In 1926 100 Eley cartridges cost approx 1 weeks wages for the average working man. Thats something to think about.

Vince

OK I understand better
thanks
JP