Sierra Bullets 30 Caliber Sample Kit

Hi all. I just got what is apparently a sample kit of Sierra 30 caliber bullets. There are eight small manila envelopes with bullet info typed onto them, each containing one bullet. These are contained in a green hinged cardboard box with metal corners. The box has no markings other than on the front face of the lid. On that face is "SIERRA BULLETS INC. pressed into the cardboard. The box is 3.685 x 2.485 x 1.645 inches.

The envelopes are gummed but not sealed. They are 3.55 x 2.25". The markings are as shown in the picture below:

In case the markings arent’ clear enough in the pictures, they are as follows:

Top Row: .30 Caliber .308 Diameter 110 Grain Hollow Point; .30 Caliber .308 Diameter 125 Grain Spitzer; .30 Caliber .308 Diameter 168 Grain International Hollow Point Boat Tail;

Middle Row: .30 Caliber .308 Diameter 180 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail; .30 Caliber .311 Diameter 180 Grain Spitzer; .30 Caliber .308 Diameter 180 Grain Spitzer Flat Base

Bottom Row: .30 Caliber Competition 200 Grain International; .30 Caliber Competition 200 Grain Matchking

I don’t want to take the bullets out of the envelopes unless necessary because some of the envelopes are worn and starting to tear. However, the sample bullets I’ve examined appear correct. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

It’s too bad that Sierra did not put an address on the box which would have helped a little.

But, about the only thing you have to fall back on is the year the different bullets went into Sierra’s lineup.

Since I’m a Match nut, I can tell you that the 168 gr International was introduced in 1958 and changed to the 168 gr MK in 1975. The 200 gr International/MK cover roughly the same time period.

A phone call to the good old boys at Sierra might answer all of your questions. Well, some of them, anyway.

Ray

The most helpful bullet in this set to give an approximate date is the .30 Caliber Competition 200 Grain International, because it was listed as a new product in 1961 but already dropped in 1962.

Thanks very much for the information.

John

John

Take the dates only for what they are worth. Remember, the packets could have been assembled at any time after the newest of the bullets were made.

Ray