Signal cartridge manufacturer

Who is Mario Cresta Hambour ?
jp

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Who is Mario Cresta Hambour ?
jp[/quote]

I GOT SOME INFO FROM A GERMAN COLLECTOR.

IT WAS A FLARE GUN MANUFACTURER.
THE INTERESTING THING IS THE CTGES ARE 12 GAUGE AND THEY LOOK LIKE THE WINDOW US SHOTSHELLS, MEANING THE SHELLS ARE OPEN ON THE SIDE.

THEREFORE THE GUN IS OPEN ON THE TOP.
JP

I missunderstood what said the german collector.
From his sources Mario Cresta was:

• either an exporter-importer in the South American trade with offices in the port of Hamburg
  • or the name of a ship or shipping association.

Anyway the ctge was shot in the Leutchpistole Modell M

Here is what I have on Mario Cresta:

Mario Cresta of Hamburg was evidently a businessman operating from 1877 to cWW1. A 1913 advertisement shows him as an agent for Skoda, DAG and others, having been in business since 1877.

He is reported as being involved in the design of some rifles including a 5mm Automatic Rifle. Some ammunition appears to have been designed by/for him as well, including:

9.4x50 (M42)
9.4x56 (M43)

12 Gauge Shotshell ammunition is known with a “Mario Cresta Hambourg” hs and is believed to be from 1897.

Boxes of 20 Mauser Mod.71/84 cartridges without Paperpatch using a variety of ex-military cases (reloads ?) are known to have been produced/marketed by M.Cresta & Co, Hamburg. A box states:

"20 Cartouchos para el fusil Mauser Mod.71/84 M.Cresta & Co,Hamburgo"

Argentina used the 71/84 rifle for a bit. I remember when they were imported, along with Winchester Model 1873 in the military “musket” form, almost all brand new except for a little pitted spot about mid barrel, on the top of the barrel, where they had leaned for year ins what was obviously an acidic or damp, wood gun rack in an arsenal somewhere. That had to be in the early 1960s, as I had just left the Regular Army a year a couple of years earlier. The rifles were something like 75.00 for the Mauser and 175.00 for the winchester. Wonder what a near-mint Winchester 1873 .44-40 mustket is worth today! Lot of money then, though. I wanted one and couldn’t afford it as a student.

I wonder if that Spanish-language label for llmm Mauser ammunition from Cresta, Hamburgo, was for Argentina? Can’t think off hand of another Spanish-speaking country that used the Mauser 71/84, although there certainly might have been.

I wonder if this rather new book on German flare gun cartriges is of interest to anyone. The M