Silenced 7.62x39

I need information on the Russian made (headstamp 711 78) Silenced, Reduced Charge 7.62x39 with a black over green bullet tip. What is the bullet weight? What is the Official Russian designation for this round.

The Russian military cartridge designation for the 7.62x39 is “US” (umenshennaya skorost) what stands for “reduced velocity”.

I’ll add that the projectile weight is about 192 grains. The projectile is very long and has a pointed, hardened steel penetrator about 10mm long in the front of the jacket, followed by lead. The powder charge fills about 1/3 of the case and is an extruded, stick type which is coarser than the powder used in regular ball ammunition. I do not have a pic of the round I sectioned, but it is an interesting load for sure. Most of these rounds are found in copper washed steel cases, but at least one load dated 1964 was in a lacquered steel case. According to my headstamp checklist, this load has been in production almost every year since 1961. A lot of the rounds with the 711 77 and 711 78 headstamps were captured in El Salvador or somewhere else in Central America in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s and found their way to collections here in the US.

AKMS

Thank everybody for all the good information.

Hammer–what is the source of the information you posted?

Russia Arms 2000 book

[quote=“AKMS”]I’ll add that the projectile weight is about 192 grains. The projectile is very long and has a pointed, hardened steel penetrator about 10mm long in the front of the jacket, followed by lead. The powder charge fills about 1/3 of the case and is an extruded, stick type which is coarser than the powder used in regular ball ammunition. I do not have a pic of the round I sectioned, but it is an interesting load for sure. Most of these rounds are found in copper washed steel cases, but at least one load dated 1964 was in a lacquered steel case. According to my headstamp checklist, this load has been in production almost every year since 1961. A lot of the rounds with the 711 77 and 711 78 headstamps were captured in El Salvador or somewhere else in Central America in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s and found their way to collections here in the US.

AKMS[/quote]

Early ones were also made by factory 539 (with the projectile we all know). The first “US” cartridges with different projectiles (jacket of “D” projectile but different interior) are known from 1956.

Intersting. I did not know about the 1950’s types. Any details on the projectile construction? Are these original Soviet loads or manufactured elsewhere? I had at one time, in my collection, a 7.62x39mm Soviet case “17 58” with a .303 Mk VII CNCS projectile loaded into it over a 1/4 powder charge and a small piece of foam as a filler. I did not know what it was at first, but it was later suggested to be loaded in Rhodesia as a subsonic cartridge. Any information out there about these “remanufactured” loads? Reportedly there are several variations on this theme that came out of Africa, some using standard ball projecitles and red tip color.

AKMS

Yes, they are Russian. Actually they are the very first ones. Unfortunately there are no further details on the projectiles. Specimens exist.

Here is the box on the right.