Silenced ctges

About electric primers, do you know when were on the market the first guns using them ??
JP

JP–The earlist electric primed ammunition available to the public was probabily the 12 Ga. rounds made, I think, by FN about 1935.

And about non shotshells ctges ?

Where did the electricity to detonate these come from? (Battery, Peizo?) Anyone have a photo of the cartridge or the gun?

I have to make a couple of corrections concerning my post about the electric shot shell. They are not FN, but are instead, French. I dug out an article which appeared in the 1966 issue of Gun Digest, “Fusil Electrique” by Roget Barlow. The gun was made by Societede Fabications Mechaniques of St. Etienne, France. The cartridges were loaded by M.G.M. of France.The cartridge in my collection has a black paper tube 2 17/32 inches long with a roll crimp with silver writing and a red card wad with a large black “8”. It says 'MUNITION ELECTRIQUE" under a cluster of lightning bolts. It also says " S.M.F.M. SAINT-ETIENNE BREVETS FRANCAIS ET ETRANGERS". The headstamp is “MUNITIONS 12 12 M.G.M.”

The power to ignite the special electric primer comes from a 4.5 volt battery in the buttstock. The manufacture claimed 50,000 shots before the battery needed to be changed.

According to the article the first electric gun was a muzzle loader made in Prague in the early 1800’s. Followed by one made in Belgium later. The Belgium one actually used a cartridge, but neither of these used an electric primer. Instead they used a high-voltage spark.

Haven’t there been several electric primer sporting arms over the years, none ever reaching commercial success?

Falcon–In 1999 Remington put out a line of “Etronx” electric primed rifle cartridges. The primers are still available for reloading in the 2005 catalog.

I had heard of the EtronX, but thought it was long discontinued. Did they ever sell many of the rifles?

Falcon–I don’t think the Remington Etronix guns were very successful, at least based on ammunition availability. They were introduced in 1999 and were no longer listed in the 2004 catalog. I do not have the 2000-2003 catalogs so I can’t tell what year they were removed, but at best they were only listed for 4 years. Here is a URL for a good article on the guns: (Be sure to click on Page 2 at the bottom)

outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear … 91,00.html

Cheers Ron, I came across that artice a while ago when I googled “EtronX” after first reading about the EtronX rifles. To me it seems like too much to go wrong, I would never trust fragile electronic circuits over the tried and tested firing pin and spring.

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]I have to make a couple of corrections concerning my post about the electric shot shell. They are not FN, but are instead, French. I dug out an article which appeared in the 1966 issue of Gun Digest, “Fusil Electrique” by Roget Barlow. The gun was made by Societede Fabications Mechaniques of St. Etienne, France. The cartridges were loaded by M.G.M. of France.The cartridge in my collection has a black paper tube 2 17/32 inches long with a roll crimp with silver writing and a red card wad with a large black “8”. It says 'MUNITION ELECTRIQUE" under a cluster of lightning bolts. It also says " S.M.F.M. SAINT-ETIENNE BREVETS FRANCAIS ET ETRANGERS". The headstamp is “MUNITIONS 12 12 M.G.M.”

The power to ignite the special electric primer comes from a 4.5 volt battery in the buttstock. The manufacture claimed 50,000 shots before the battery needed to be changed.

According to the article the first electric gun was a muzzle loader made in Prague in the early 1800’s. Followed by one made in Belgium later. The Belgium one actually used a cartridge, but neither of these used an electric primer. Instead they used a high-voltage spark.[/quote]

Yes you are right.
There were also two designs of guns In France before 1900 using electric primer shotshells.
JP

Does anyone have a picture of the Belgium cartridge that was ignited by a high-voltage spark?