Sintered Bullets

Dr. Schmitt,

Do you refer to the use of sintered projectiles with special materials carried in the porous metal? Interesting!

Below are images of the Oilite projectile as used by the Dairt reloads. Under magnification the features of the sintering process can be seen as Mel suggested. I think that there may be some smoothing of the external appearance when forming of the bullet’s shape happens. Note the conical recess in the base has the typical frosted look of the Oilite bearing. Still, the 147 gr. weight of this projectile is the big clue here as the loaded rounds feel strangely light.

While I think Ray may have been thinking of sintered iron projectiles when he started this, the topic is “Sintered Bullets”…

Any other Oilite ammunition out there?

Projectile004Pic

Dave

I have an oilite 9mm Projectile only. Aside from being one piece, it looks much like a common
9 mm Para FMJ RN bullet. I also have a rod of the material, about 9 mm in diameter and
perhaps a couple of inches long. Don’t know if that’s just how the stuff came, or whether
it was the start of a 9 mm bullet, or a couple of them. I have never seen a 9 mm cartridge
loaded with this bullet. They probably would all be handloaded prototypes anyway.

Re: Sintered Bullets
Dr. Schmitt,

"Do you refer to the use of sintered projectiles with special materials carried in the porous metal? Interesting! "

Yes. They worked quite well with various agents. The problem as with all of this material is the contamination of the user. That was never answered with this type of ammo. They were made in various calibers; 45acp,9mm,32 Tokarev,32acp,25acp and 22rf.

A 22 with certain agents could contaminate an entire warehouse, with ONE bullet. All of this research stopped in 1970 when Nixon killed all of the “offensive” bio weapons programs at Ft. Detrick. Today the programs there are defensive.

I believe that the risk of exposing the user is the major problem with chemical or biological weapons - unless you have a suicide user. No shortage of applicants for those jobs.

Did I not read an announcement very recently that the last US stockpile of “offensive” chemical agents has now been disposed of? But I wonder about everyone else’s stockpiles.

Not really possible to get too deep into this as BIO/CHEM has a very tight and touchy lid on it.

However , most of the individual use BIO weapons developed at Ft.D. posed no risk to the user.

None have ever been declassified and my request to write about this along with the late Gerald Yonetz ( head of hardware development for SOD , Ft.D.) was met with a solid NO as was our manuscript of his biography. He was a long time IAA member and collector.

The problem with the sintered bullet was that it had to be coated and at that time (before 1970) a suitable coating which would withstand use had not been developed.

Even though they were designed for single shot use they had to survive transport for loading into a cartridge case, actual loading , packing , transport to use location and transport to weapon for firing. No coating of the time worked. Temperature,bumps and bruises all were killers in that program. With BIO agents there is no room for error. A micro crack in the coating would be fatal in most agents being considered.

Other BIO small arms projectiles had the agent well sealed by existing technology.