Sisk.224 bullets

I’ve finally got myself a box of Sisk bullets, they have a real quality feel about them. Can anyone date the box ? On the bottom of the box is stamped the number 62101? (possibly a 9).

I’m assuming the jackets are made from .22rf cases.

Thanks,
Armourer

Armourer

I like those Sisk bullets too. I have about 30 boxes of them. Many different weights and bullet profiles.

The ones you have were not made with 22RF cases as jackets. If so, they would have a vestige of the firing pin mark and/or the headstamp from the 22 RF.

It’s hard to date Sisk bullets because all of his boxes, except the “Wartime Bullets”, are the same. Most of his pre-war bullets were lighter weight for cartridges such as the Hornet and Lovell. I’d say yours are most likely post war, probably late 40s or early 50s.

Ray

Thanks Ray.

I think that I’m going to start looking for more, they really do shout quality.

Armourer

In their day, Sisk bullets were some of the best. While not meaning to sound cynical, today’s Benchrest bullets are so much better that there is almost no comparison.

Keep your eyes open for some of the other custom bullet makers from the golden age of wildcatting. Speer, RCBS, Wotkyns-Morse, Jordan, Holmes, and Biehler & Astles. Calibers other than .224 are especially collectable, IMHO.

Ray

I agree with Ray. I once shot a half box of Sisk bullets in my .222 Remington 40X-XBR bench rest rifle, when I had it. They shot better than I expected they would, but couldn’t compare to a Sierra Match King or some of the Custom bullets like Berger, etc. Those guys were pioneers though, and we owe them a lot for their research.

Just another bit of information on Sisk bullets. While R.B. Sisk was alive all his bullets were handmade on homemade equipment. Was told the last few years he would not let anyone into his shop because he was embarrased to let people know he did not have powered equipment.

I also like those little Sisk .224 boxes, but only have a few of them:

Here are the two box styles I have, one being the Wartime bullets:

All of the bullets in the wartime box were made from recycled .22 cases with a mix of U and P headstamps, and all show the firing pin strike mark. About half of the bullets in the other box were made from .22 cases.

Aaaaahhh…Back in the day…I don’t collect these…but they are cool…and made in the day when there weren’t many of us cartridge historians around…and metal was scarce and being used for the war effort…but…with all the “stuff” these days…UN, Oxfam, and all that …how’s about we all go back to about 1946 and start over !!!..But…I’d pretty much have all my Krags…but those of you who collect all the “modern” stuff ( also cool)…would miss out, …so…I guess it’s a toss up…Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!..Randy

Since there is an interest in this firm I will send Chris my company history file to include in a future issue of the Journal. I know he was in business as early as 1933 and as late as 1961.

Here’s a sealed box of 49 grain bullets Sisk bullets. Don’t know if they are made from .22LR brass.

I also have a box of Lovell bullets and a Jordan box.

IHMSA

Those Sisk bullets that you pictured are most likely post WW II and made from commercial jackets. Sisk did not start making “Express” bullets until 1946, I believe.

I also have some Jordan bullets but none made by Lovell. Wanna trade?? Seriously. PM me.

As a shooter I recognise your moniker. IHMSA 80x80. Good shooting. :)

Ray

Thanks Ray! Here’s my Lovell box, it is about 3/4 full.

I’ll try to dig up a pic of my Jordan box to compare with yours.

IHMSA

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant bullets MADE by Lovell. I have that same box and a couple of Super Lovell boxes. The 50 grain Lovells were made both pre and post WW II.

My Jordan is a black box with an orange top. 50 grain “Soft Swaged” .224.

Ray

Are they anything like this one Ray?

Yep, that’s it. I guess he made more than one box. :) :)

Ray