Sisk Lovell bullets

I am slowly dwindling down my collection and right now finding just what we can use from the old boxes I have. Many have only a few bullets or cases in them.

One box is R.B. Sisk .22 cal. Lovell 50 Gr. soft point with a total of 10 bullets in the box.

Just what calibers are best to use the Lovell in? The box isn’t marked what diam. and I didn’t size them yet.

The Sisk 50 grain Lovell bullets were made both pre and post WW2. They were nominally .224" diameter. They were used in most of the wildcat cartridges of the time. They could be used in any of today’s 22 cartridges although their accuracy will probably not be up to the standards of today.

Ray

I can also add that the .22 cal. (.224") Lovell 50 gr soft point bullet was first made by Sisk about 1934-35. After the war, he also made the 50 gr Lovell bullet with a diameter of .223" and .226". In the ad shown below you can see all three bullet diameters listed in 1950. Note that he was also making .17 cal. bullets long before this caliber became popular.

Regards,

Fede

I guess I’ll have to mic them.

The box has a sticker of $1.20 on it… Nice price for 100 bullets!

That was the approx. price of these bullets until the war. His wartime manufacture was of lesser quality but twice as expensive. Back in 1932, when Sisk started his bullet making business, the price of a .22 Hornet bullet was $9.00 per thousand…

Back when I collected Wildcats, I also collected the old bullets. I have a bunch of boxes (50 or more?) of all of the popular bullets from the pre and post war period.

They are for sale or trade if anyone is interested. They would give a new, young collector a good start. An old guy too. ;-)

Ray

Some of these early 22 caliber bullet makers used fired .22 Rim Fire cases to make the jacket. So something to watch out for is a headstamp on the bullet base & sometimes the firing pin strike can even be also seen

During the war, quite a few bullet makers used fired copper RF cases for bullet jackets. They were all they could get at the time. Some of those makers got their start that way. Such as Speer and RCBS for two.

Here’s the base of a wartime Speer bullet.

Ray

I know well about using .22 cartridges for sleeves… I knew a man who made bullets and he had the equipment to sleeve the .22 - Now another friend bought the equipment after the man passed away… he hasn’t done much with it… says it’s a PIA so I guess he’s still in the learning phase.

We had two fellows on our small bore team who made bullets from fired cases during WW-2. Both used RCBS dies. One of them made me a bunch and still have some. Any one who would like several send me an email. Think there are several different head stamps. Making them was a challenge with the pre war loading tools. Pacific was probably the heaviest tool made and many of the old standard model were broken.
Gourd

Here are a couple more of those headstamped wartime bullets:

and one of the wartime boxes: