Ski mine

Time: 1942
Place: Karelia
Event: German long range raids to demolish sections of Murmansk railroad.
Quote from p.31 of “Seven days in January” by Wolf Zoepf
"If a member of a patrol took sick or was injured during the mission,he was left in a clandestine position along the route, with food and enough ammunition to defend himself, should he be detected.He could only count on getting picked up by a friendly patrol when it returned- days later-from actions at the objective. If he was not picked up,he was out of luck,because attempting to follow the trail was an extremely dangerous proposition; rather than camouflaging the return tracks, the patrol members would usually mine the tell-tale marks with special “ski mines”, neatly buried directly in the track and artfully covered by an inch of snow"
Question: How does this ski mine look?

This would likely be one of the standard “S”-mines (“sprengen” or “jumping”) mines, that the US called “Bouncing Betties”; about the size of a large soup can, with a fuze on top that causes an inner cannister to be blown up out of the outer can, then fired by an instantaneous fuze at around head height, spraying shrapnel throughout the area.

Sorry, the so called “Ski Mines” were improvised mines made in frontline workshops.

Here an excerpt from the German 1944 manual on “Mine Warfare in Winter”. Several types were proposed depending on available demolition material and raw materials:

Thanks, EOD, that’s a completely new one one me; it looks like it follows the same general pattern and uses the same fuzes as the S-mine, but fires from the ground like a shotgun because they could count on the target being in a specific location.