SL 43 30-06 bullet finishes

Can anyone post a good color photo showing the SL 43 30-06 Bonderized, Luberized, and Jetalized bullet finishes?

Thanks

Top one is Luberized & bottom is an “I’m not sure” (Now noted to be a Jetalized thanks rene) which, as Chris notes different shades of dark grey, I have another with a 42 date & I can’t see and color different in the dark grey.

from left to right:

Bonderized
Luberized
Jetalized

(at least the rounds were marked that way) but they do have different shades

OK it seems I had it wrong & will correct the black one is Luberized.
Here is a box with one rnd. & it is black.

Also rene I’ve somewhat corrected the light color in your photo to remove the yellow highlights to get more correct color rendition. It can’t be removed completely as your camera setting did not match the color of the light source. Automatic settings, if that is what you used, do not always work the best.
corrected

1 Like

Pete,

that is a lovely box !!

I didn’t do any changes to the picture. I use a light box with “cold” light
playing a bit with contrast/brightness/gamma gives this result where the variance is more clear

Ok let me explain in a bit more detail. The color of light is measured in degrees Kelvin. 5500º Kelvin is the benchmark, it is sunlight at 12 noon & no clouds in the sky.

Now your camera has (or not) settings for the different colors of light (degrees Kelvin) to be able to reproduce the same color as the light reflected from the object your photographing.(why we see nothing in the dark as no light is being reflected) If the two are not set to the same light temperature then you have what is known as a crossover and if you try to get the blue out by changing the yellow, then the yellow in the photo changes to an incorrect yellow & vice versa.

Incandescent light, such as a normal room lamp is about 3200º & a cool light might be 6500º. So if your camera’s pick-up is not set to 6500º or 3200º & the light is not the same you get a color shift & a crossover. You’ve seen photos taken indoors where every one is yellowish. It’s because the light in the room was 3200º & the film or camera was set at 5500º The same in the shade every one looks cold or blueish, but in the same photo the area outside of the shade the color is good.

So what seems to be the (as I see it problem) in your photos, is your light table / box is set at cold light. Your camera may be set differently, or is unable to record that temprature. Plus if you notice the highlights on the bullets they are yellow & noticeably more on the left side than the right bullet, so you have other light also being recorded in the photo. Your highlights should be white, it being a combination of all the colors, Being yellow your picking up a 3200º source from the left & it is affecting your ability to reproduce the colors accurately.

Notice below in both photos yours on the left & the somewhat corrected I posted. Do you see a yellow cast on the left photo?
rene corrected%20left%20bullet

thanks for the explanation Pete.
I‘ll read the manual of the camera again. it should be able to get the correct settings as it is quite an expensive one.

cheers
Rene

Just experiment with it & see what camera setting work best with your light box. Also turn off the room lights so no ambient light effects the outcome.
Take something multi-colored & then hold it up next to the camera photo to see if all the colors are faithfully reproduced.
If it’s a good camera the colors should look very close the same. However these new electronic ones are sometimes lacking in one color, mostly red in my experience.

PS if you need to have the room light on, you might look for a replacement bulb that matches the color of your light box.

Rene, Pete,

Thanks for the help! Talk about shades of grey!
So then is the conclusion that the shading from lightest to darkest Bonderized, Jetalized, Luberized?

Pat

No, I just had another look:

bonderized = lightest
luberized = middle
jetalized = darkest

May someone enlighten me on the meaning of these 3 different types of metal surface finish?

Untitled

1 Like

OK I have a problem.
The box has one of the almost black & it’s a Luberised box. I had the almost black on in the top post labeled as Jetalised in by book (& then corrected it). So something is wrong either the box contents or?

So Rene are you 100% sure about the order?

ok, another try.
I will admit that the difference between the two darkest versions is minimal
It sometimes really depends on how the angle of the light is

in this order
bonderized = lightest
luberized = middle
jetalized = darkest

but as said, that is how the rounds were marked as I got them (out of a mature Collection)
this is also the sequence as Chris P. desribes it in his book

2 Likes

I follow with great interest this extensive discussion on shades of grey (pun intended, although I neither read the novel nor saw the movie, believe it or not).
Knowing what bonderizing (parkerizing or phosphatizing in German) is, I am most interested in learning what luberizing and jetalizing really is.

Thanks & much better color on these.