SLICs Pictures

Any SLICs picture for us that could not make it, displays etc… Thanks, dave

There are some in the recent thread here: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18512

And here are a bunch more that I took while there. There are several close-ups of German, Japanese, and U.S. military that I was taking for a friend who couldn’t make it that I sent for him to check out if interested. Otherwise they are random table photos, and one wide shot of half the show floor. I keep meaning to get a photo of the seminar and banquet / live-auction, but forgot again this year.

Half of the show hall (there is also a long set of tables outside the hall which is a silent auction going on). You can see the back of show organizer Vic Engel in the short-sleeve gray shirt on the left:

On the right side of this photo of a Japanese shell, you can see a pile of .44 Gabet mock duel cartridges, which were priced at $5 each (I picked up a couple - who wouldn’t?):

Aaron Newcomer’s display:

Some VERY rare German pre-war Gerlich experimental rds:

Another very rare item, a German Bernstein pressed solid steel bullet for a 7.92x33:

Here is the pile of stuff that I cam home with from the show. It figures that one month after finally finding a box of Peters .38spl metal penetrating rds in the blue/white box style (after years of looking) from the recent Ward’s Auction for $75, that I would then find an equally excellent condition box fo the same type sitting on a table at SLICS for $55:

The best item I found on the tables at the show had to be this Russian 7n15-2 9x18 makarov penetrator rd. Not only is it quite rare to find any of the exposed steel core tip 9x18 makarov rds (either here or in Eastern Europe / Russia), it is rare to find this version I would think since this is the early variation of what became the more standard 7n15-3 with an exposed steel core tip which looks very similar to the now standard 7n30 9x19mm rd from Tula. I couldn’t believe that it was there on a table, from one of the German collectors for $40 and that it had survived a couple days of in-room trading and the first night of table set-up. I figured it was due to resembling a cast lead bullet from a glance:

This image from my book (photos from Yuri Bushin) shows the 7n15-2 on top along with pulled projectile in copper cup, and then the later 7n15-3

Darn…I think I looked at that round 3 times with visions of ‘lead bullet’ running through my thick head. Good find.

Matt, I do not want to disappoint you but the 1st. type (you have here) of the 7N15 is the sintered iron bullet (no cup in the base). Only the later models had the steel core inside a cup.
All of these models are not considered to be AP as per Russian designations (also not the 9x19 7N30) though they can have thermally treated cores. The Russian designation for these is “enhanced penetration”.
The types here are something along the line of “lead free bullets” while the 9mm “AP” types (9x18 7N25 and 9x19 7N21, 7N30, 7N31) have smaller diameter (protruding) cores and respective designations.

That’s ok Alex, no disappointment here - thanks for the proper identification. It is still a rare one that I didn’t have. What would the main intention of such a bullet be in terms of use?

Matt, same like with the Czechoslovak 9x18 and German 9x19 in WWII: saving raw materials and simplification of production.

When you are into such items you may consider to attend an ECRA show in Germany. There such items are more common than at SLICS as the few Germans can not bring the whole variety of Europe with their 5kg limits.

Beautiful antique cartridges! Thank you for sharing these photos Krag!

-Dave

Can anyone point me to this guy? I couldn’t make it, but there’s some stuff on that table I’d like to buy.

The only thing I can recall is that it was a table where there was usually a woman seated. Probably husband & wife, but I don’t recall who they were. They were American though. That should narrow it down if anyone remembers since at any given time there are only around 10 women at the tables.

There was a whole squad of Argentinians at SLICS this year, a couple of them in that last photo. Great to trade with.

And I wonder what the people who make some of the best steaks in this world do think about odd people with furry wooden chunks on their feet they call shoes.

These shoes did not came from Argentinia but from the Netherlands. :-)

I did not say the shoes are Argentinian.
And yes, Holland gave us plenty of funny things. :)