Slides to computer?

I have many slides of ammo which I would like to convert to a format which can be posted on the web. Any suggestions ?

You need to use a slide scanner. these come i ntwo types. a stand alone slide scanner or slide scanning adapter for a flat bed scanner. The purpose built slade scanner is by far the best but are relativly expensive. The adapters for flat bes scanners sorta work, but do not give as good of results, but are quite abit less expensive. Another alternative, depending on how many slides you want to do, is to have them commercialy transfered to a DVD or CD I believe Kinko’s offers this service as do most places where you can get photos processed.

I just did a Google search for slide scanners. They range in price from $300-$1500. I also found a place that will do it for you at 35 cents per slide. You could get 857 slides digitized at that rate for the price of even the cheapest slide scanner. Here is the URL:

myspecialphotos.com/scanning … IgodDktT0Q

For low resolution needs (likely on this site and most projected PowerPoints) a cheap option is to project the slides on a screen in a very dark room, tripod a digital camera, turn off the flash, shoot away, and you have instant cheap jpg’s. I am faced with wishing to archive 1000’s of slides (not ammunition) and looking for an economic solution. Sam’s Club was our cheapest price per slide when my wife and I needed several hundred medical slides scanned a year ago. I have done hundreds with my own scanner(s), but that can be an arduous process.

Time intensive. Must be a better answer.

I have made slides from computer files and I have scanned slides to computer files.
As the previous poster said, the dedicated slide scanner will produce the best results and will provide you with the best workflow.
If you go the flatbed scanner route, and get a scanner like mine (an Epson 4870) then you will have to jump a few more hurdles involving scan settings, making the lid light source available, and placing the right adapter on the glass bed. Then you may have to select each slide individually, or sometimes you may get lucky and the software may detect the slide edges. One nice advantage of the flatbed approach (at least with mine) is that the software has a dust and hair removal utility. I find it useful for small radiographs.
If I had a large collection of slides and no digital copies, I WOULD NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give those to a company to digitize. The opportunity exists for your slides to be damaged, lost or have nice fingerprints put on them. I have seen this done with slides that I had produced at a proper production facility.
I advise that you do it yourself, little by little. It isn’t a job you can rush, it is a job that deserves care and caution.
Start with some other slide while you hone the settings and then go for it from there, adhering to the same settings for all. It is preferable not to employ filters and sharpening algorithms at the time of the scanning. You need to scan those at high resolution (a high dpi value) and then save them in a raw lossless format (you can compress the resulting file with ZIP or RAR). You then have that file for ever and the resolution will be enough to print an A4, or convert back to a slide, or if you scan at really high resolutions, maybe even a poster.

It is the sort of job you do once, then you lock your slides away. These are precious and a simple mistake now can result in heartache later.

IIRC there is a Hewlett Packard flatbed scanner with a slide/negative scanner built into the cover, when last I saw one it was retailing for approx 100$s. You could check a local Staples or the like. In the past I have seen and used a slide scanner, and they worked well, until you also wanted to do microfilm, and the cost, as mentioned here, was high.

I have the HP scanner spoken of in the previous post. I also do photography and have used it to make slide copies. It’s mediocre at best and very slow. Several years ago, I transferred several thousand slides to digital. I purchased a dedicated slide copier, I don’t remember the brand, but it worked very well. It was an out-of-date model that I found on the internet for about fifty dollars, which I later sold for fifty dollars!

Sorry that I can’t give more specific information, but the point is that the HP Scanjet 4370, while a good scanner, is not really suitable for making many 35mm slide copies.

Best of luck,

Joe

WHAT DO YOU GET AS A FINISHED PRODUCT FROM THE SLIDE COPIER ?

The finished product is always a digital file. How you get the file and the quality of the image therein is what matters to you.
Here is a link comparing several methods of digitizing slides:

andromeda.com/people/ddyer/p … nsfer.html

LOOKS LIKE TO WAY TO GO.

Also if you find one that is not quite up to the quality. Remember there are lots of free image editing programs available for download. They would let you do things like sharpen, adjust brightness, and contrast. Some might even have a batch job function that would let you do a bunch of images at a time.
-Josh