Slow airmail ammo from europe

IF YOU ARE EXPECTING SOME INERT AMMO FROM EUROPE YOU MAY GET IT IN THE FUTURE IN ONE OF THESE. THIS ENVELOPE BROUGHT AN INERT SHELL FROM ENGLAND - THEY DIDN’T BOTHER RETURNING THE COST OF AIRMAIL.

Yea, I recived a couple of cartridges from the UK in one of those a few days ago. Took 72 days to get to me, and it was not held up in customs.

I received one as well and I’m in England. It seems to be if the items go through the south west region first. I can only assume that there is a very bored or anti gun postman down there. I’m not even sure that, that is an official Royal Mail sticker.

If this is not an official royal mail sticker, then whoever the idiot who stuck it on there is, they could be in serious trouble for interefering with crown property. Because, until delivered, items within the Royal mail postal system are under the protection of the crown.

None of our mailmen are ambitious enough to take such matters in their own hands. The postal empire doesn’t like that. The bag and label say ROYAL Mail on them and I think someone would be risking jail doing this freelance.

Packets/parcels being sent abroad can be x-rayed and opened if it is believed that there is something inside which is not allowed to be sent via airmail.

Ammunition is not allowed to be sent via airmail,ok,these items were inert,but not everyone can tell the difference between a live and inert round,so why take the risk?

The label would have been applied after inspection of the contents of the package.

Just my opinion as a UK postman.
Kind regards,
Andy

I personally think that Andy’s explanation is very reasonable. I have a few inert rounds in my collection that are impossible to tell if they are inert unless you know the precise weight of the cartridge. I just had a friend section a duplicate Polish “91”-dated Makarov round. (Yes, you guys have me getting rounds sectioned now!). The round had the red primer seal and was acquired as a loaded round(s). When sectioned, it was found to have no powder in it and a completely inert, unsnapped primer cup. I weighed the one in my collection and found it weighed three and a half grains less than the loaded round from the same maker and the previous year. Not conclusive normally, but just about the weight of a powder charge in a small-caliber pistol round like the Mak.

Postal employees are not ammunition experts. If there is a question of whether a round was inert or not, it was actually quite good of them to send the rounds on by surface - they could have confiscated them.

• I will NEVER try to get again any inert ammo [Russian made 23X152B fired shell case] from UK. Now, after 20 months I still got nothing. Very bad experience with mail from UK. Liviu 06/06/07

This would not occur in the USA because no USPS employee has the authority to re-route or change the method of shipment. It is returned to the sender for correction of the problem. And the original fees are forfeited I believe. I can’t honesly say that the USA method is any better because the overall time from sender to receiver would probably be the same.

It’s the 21st Century and I doubt if any of us hold the power to do anything about things such as this and I see them as only getting worse, not improving. So just lay down, put your legs in the air and take whatever is coming your way. They say it is a lot easier if you don’t struggle. ;) ;)

JMHO

Ray

Liviu, are you sure it is a mail problem or a dodgy seller that never actually sent your 23mm Case?

[quote=“AndyD”]Packets/parcels being sent abroad can be x-rayed and opened if it is believed that there is something inside which is not allowed to be sent via airmail.

Ammunition is not allowed to be sent via airmail,ok,these items were inert,but not everyone can tell the difference between a live and inert round,so why take the risk?

The label would have been applied after inspection of the contents of the package.

Just my opinion as a UK postman.
Kind regards,

Andy[/quote]

Are you saying that INERT ammunition can not be sent by Royal Mail ?

• @ Falcon: The person from UK who sent me the item [WW2 fired 23X152B fired brass case] is above suspicion. It’s only the PARANOID custom service from UK or USA or both. Liviu 06/06/07

No, just saying that most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a live round and an inert one.

Kind regards,
Andy

[quote=“AndyD”]No, just saying that most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a live round and an inert one.

Kind regards,
Andy[/quote

I am not sure how you folks do things over there BUT any postal employee here who suspect that LIVE ammo was being sent through the mail would not just slap a NO AIR sticker on it. They would call a postal inspector and it would hit the fan in double quick. I suspect LIVE ammo is also illegal to MAIL in the UK.

My parcel contained a totally inert hand grenade and the parcel was NOT OPENED !

Figure that out.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]This would not occur in the USA because no USPS employee has the authority to re-route or change the method of shipment. It is returned to the sender for correction of the problem. And the original fees are forfeited I believe. I can’t honesly say that the USA method is any better because the overall time from sender to receiver would probably be the same.

It’s the 21st Century and I doubt if any of us hold the power to do anything about things such as this and I see them as only getting worse, not improving. So just lay down, put your legs in the air and take whatever is coming your way. They say it is a lot easier if you don’t struggle. ;) ;)

JMHO

Ray[/quote]

I wouldn’t be so sure that the mail going from the USA to the UK is any better, just different. Last year I arranged to have a belt of 250 rounds of 7.9x57mm ammo removed from the Browning links and the EMPTY links and starter tab posted to the UK. After several weeks waiting the sender was informed that the consignment had been intercepted and DESTROYED.

gravelbelly

[quote=“JohnMoss”]I personally think that Andy’s explanation is very reasonable. I have a few inert rounds in my collection that are impossible to tell if they are inert unless you know the precise weight of the cartridge. I just had a friend section a duplicate Polish “91”-dated Makarov round. (Yes, you guys have me getting rounds sectioned now!). The round had the red primer seal and was acquired as a loaded round(s). When sectioned, it was found to have no powder in it and a completely inert, unsnapped primer cup. I weighed the one in my collection and found it weighed three and a half grains less than the loaded round from the same maker and the previous year. Not conclusive normally, but just about the weight of a powder charge in a small-caliber pistol round like the Mak.

Postal employees are not ammunition experts. If there is a question of whether a round was inert or not, it was actually quite good of them to send the rounds on by surface - they could have confiscated them.[/quote]

It makes not difference if they are ammo experts or not. If they suspected the shells were LIVE they could not send them on by sea or air. IT is illegal.

The question is WHY they are insisting to send SOME of these parcels by SEA. They do not suspect them of being LIVE or they would take other actions.

I still don’t think that that “do not fly” is an official Royal Mail Sticker. I was a postie for 3 years and never saw a sticker like that.

So that leaves the question, who is costing people postage money by sending by sea when they paid for air mail by putting these things on there?

It looks like AndyD is in the best position to advise on this. Facts ?

Personally,I would ask the person who sent the item to you to contact RM customer services and ask them to explain.

The person who sent the item will be in possession of all the facts (when posted/price paid/time taken) etc,and would be in a better position to explain this to customer services.

BTW,was there a customs label attached to the parcel,and if so, what does it list the contents as?

Kind regards,
Andy