Slow motion ammunition videos and photos

How about a thread full of video links and pictures showing ammunition in slow motion?

Here is a great video detailing 120MM tank ammunition with some great APFSDS slow motion and HEAT round graphics. In this video, the APFSDS round they show being handled by the tank crews is really the M865 TPCSDS round which is cone stabilized, not fin stabilized to reduce effective range for target practice. The slow motion film is definitely APFSDS and amazing the way it captures sabot separation from two angles.

Jason

youtube.com/watch?v=yHbf-Eb3 … 973D05DA62

Great slow motion experimental rifle bullets fired into gel with “double cavities”. Not sure why this is so cool but the scientists were going crazy :-)

Jason

youtube.com/watch?v=TcyEWT2O550

Yuk! who in their right mind would want to be on the recieving end of that? People in tanks rather think themselves invunerable but that makes you think again. One minute you are there and doing it the next minute you are red soup.

The question from GW1 is does it render the tank inoperable or just the crew? Many of the tanks knocked out in GW1 were reinstated and put back into service. after hosing out the previous occupants.

The real hopes and maximum effectiveness of a APFSDS round is to also ignite the target tanks stored main gun ammunition. When this happens the turret is often found 30 + feet away from the hull. The Abrams M1 and M1A1’s have main gun ammunition storage blow out doors in case they are ignited by accident or enemy fire. This causes the entire explosion up, out and away from the crew. Tankers are incredibly brave soldiers for doing what they do.

Most of the knocked out tanks and APCs I saw in Kuwait during Desert Storm were catastrophic kills. Those that were intact were most likely simply abandoned. The current generation of anti-tank projectiles (DU) benefit greatly from the pyrophorric effect of the DU spraying inside the vehicle after penetration. I’m not sure what exactly you are referring to about in regards to reinstated tanks during GW1, but it sounds more like what I have read about tank warfare from WWII. There is a great book about the tank recovery teams that kept the US Army going where they would indeed patch the solid steel shot holes, repair damaged systems and hose out the prior crew’s remains.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that being a tank crewman in a vehicle that is hit with a HEAT round or DU Sabot is likely one of the worst possible ways to meet your maker…

AKMS

You guys are the bravest and I admire you a lot on many levels.

Jason

This is one of the best slow motion ammunition videos ever! The cameras and technology to track the projectile (s) must be extreme. Anyhow this is a US M1028 Canister Round made by ATK. It has an estimated 1150 tungsten balls as sub-projectiles?

Sectioned M1028 Example

AMAZING VIDEO
youtube.com/watch?v=Cgn1nhUEgo8

[quote=“AKMS”]I’m not sure what exactly you are referring to about in regards to reinstated tanks during GW1,
AKMS[/quote]
That was just a report I read around the time if the start of GW2 saying that Saddams tank strength was not as low as might have been expected due to rebuilding. Given the other incorrect information we were fed about WOMD there is no certainty that the reports were factual.

Given your information about recovered tanks in WW2. In my boyhood I saw a Sherman tank in the town square in Bastigne Belgium (BOTB). Mint except for a couple of holes in the fabric it could easily have been recomissioned. I believe it should still be there. It was in better condition than some of the rebuilds I have seen since on the History Channel.

Another absolutely incredible slow motion video that shows a lot of projectiles impacting armor plate in slow motion filmed at 1 million FPS. A little over halfway threw it, they show projectiles (Guessing 45’s) being impacted inflight by a 2nd, smaller projectile ball. The in-air impact does not seem to alter the larger projectiles trajectory.

Jason

youtu.be/QfDoQwIAaXg

[quote=“APFSDS”]How about a thread full of video links and pictures showing ammunition in slow motion?

Here is a great video detailing 120MM tank ammunition with some great APFSDS slow motion and HEAT round graphics. In this video, the APFSDS round they show being handled by the tank crews is really the M865 TPCSDS round which is cone stabilized, not fin stabilized to reduce effective range for target practice. The slow motion film is definitely APFSDS and amazing the way it captures sabot separation from two angles.

Jason

youtube.com/watch?v=yHbf-Eb3 … 973D05DA62[/quote]

youtube.com/watch?v=0giK-zqrAKI