Slow Motion Firing & Tracking of US 76mm M4 Sherman Tank & Soviet 152mm Howitzer

Here is a great video from the Slow Mo Guys tracking a 76mm M4 tank projectile as it flies downrange. Notice the large yaw as it leaves the gun and the visible supersonic shock waves. Then they shoot watermelons with a 152mm Howitzer.

Is the excessive yaw of the 76mm due to a worn gun barrel?

Fascinating video.
I believe the yaw is a function of the minute differences in concentricity of the projectile.
In small arms, the; ‘fleet yaw effect,’ leads to erratic short range terminal ballistics.

Interestingly; the ‘fleet yaw’ might have been instrumental in the projectile deflection. Repeat the exercise with another shell and the effect would be different, due to the minor differences in projectile concentricity and yaw.

However; I might be wrong…

1 Like

My understanding is shorter flat base bullets stabilize quicker than longer projectiles. The longer projectiles, after they settle down at a hundred or two hundred yards, are a lot better over long distances.

Great video, should have liked to see ome impact footage other than shooting out the tire.

Just a small observation; the Sherman cannon was 76mm and the Howitzer was 152mm.

At 10.35 /16.45 in the video there is a comment that the Howitzer; “is an order of magnitude larger…”
My understanding, in accepted scientific notation, is that; “an order of magnitude,” is a factor of 10.

The Howitzer would, therefore; need to be caliber 760mm to make that assertion correct.

Area of 76 mm is 4500 mm2. Area of 152 mm is 18135 MM squared. Assuming the 152 mm is three times as long then you’re close to a factor of 10 in volume weight and payload.

I would be interested to know the difference in propellant quantity. Also one is a high-velocity round and the other is a howitzer so it’s a lower velocity.

1 Like

I’m comfortable that a volume/weight discussion would, with some assumptions, get closer to; “an order of magnitude.”

They did, however; preamble at: 10.31/16.45; “that the gun from the Sherman is 76 mil and this is 152.”

I’d assume, therefore; that they were talking about the diameter (caliber mm).

I would not have immediately appreciated, that they had switched to discussing volume/payload.

I agree with your points. The chance that they intelligently/deliberately switched from diameter to volume and it was lost in editing/clipping is small.

It’s always interesting to see the bow-shock ahead of a projectile like that in super slow-motion video. The pressure wave can kill you just by having something like that fly by your head 6 inches away.

That’s a fallacy. The supersonic shockwave doesn’t have enough energy to do any damage. You need high explosive level shockwaves to cause damage.

50cal doesn’t even move house of cards.

1 Like

I guess the 76mm’s yaw because of the poor design of those homemade projectiles that lack the bourrelet.

1 Like

It’s funny that the Sherman in the first 50 seconds of the video is not the same as the Sherman that fires the gun.

1 Like

I never noticed that. Are they both Sherman’s?

Something as obvious as the first one doesn’t have a muzzle brake

They actually comment at around the one minute mark that the second Sherman is slightly different to the one they were riding in.

1 Like