Small game : Recoiless gun and hollow charge projectile

Who has designed (and tested by the army) the first recoiless gun without (or with) a riffled barrel and using an hollow charge projectile ??
I thought it was the Germans with their panzerfaust followed by the Americans with their bazooka.

Do you know somebody before ??

JP

JP,

The US “Bazooka” is actually a rocket launcher. The panzerfaust certainly was an early combination of recoilless, open breach gun and hollow charge explosive projectile and likely the first as far as I know.

Dave

If you are talking, in isolation, about these sort of things you would be going back to needle fire technology. Not quite the answer you are looking for I would imagine.

[quote=“DaveE”]JP,

The US “Bazooka” is actually a rocket launcher. The panzerfaust certainly was an early combination of recoilless, open breach gun and hollow charge explosive projectile and likely the first as far as I know.

Dave[/quote]

The pazerfaust is also a rocket, isn’t it ??

jp

The 57mm M18 Recoilless Rifle was developed by US Army Ordnance during WW2.

And the first gun made like a panzerfaust (no riffled barrel, hollow charge projectile) was made by Dimitri Riabouchensky at the aerodynamic institute of Koutchino and tested in 1916 by the russian army
After leaving Russia the guy made other tests in France with half riffled barrel) in 1924
And the in 1938 he worked in collaboration with Vladimirsky

JP

[quote=“jeanpierre”][

The pazerfaust is also a rocket, isn’t it ??

jp[/quote]

No, it is not.

JP,

The projectile on the panzerfaust was fired by a separate charge of black powder.

That 1916 development you cite is very interesting. Do you have any information on the projectile size or the intended use? Tanks hadn’t really made much of a statement on the battlefield yet at that time. Perhaps for fortified MG positions?

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]JP,

The projectile on the panzerfaust was fired by a separate charge of black powder.

Dave[/quote]

OK. Thanks !

After reading more accurately, I think this guy invented and tried the first recoiless canon (and not recoiless gun with an hollow charge projectile)
It is the fact he was talking about bazooka and panzerfaust when he was claiming his anteriority which mistook me.

Here are very poor pictures of the gun.

The tube and its frame weights 7 kg
the propellant charge (400 g) launchs a 4 kg projectile to 320 meters

jp

I am currently writing an article for the IAA Journal on the Broadwat Trust Company and British recoilless experiments in WW2, with particular emphasis on the small calibre applications. It should be with Chris in the next week so look for it in a couple of issues time.

Regards
TonyE

I bet on the Soviet 76мм АПК-4 aircraft mounted recoiless rifle
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=hu&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcommi.narod.ru%2Ftxt%2Fshirad%2F130.htm

Vince, the Russian ones were not HEAT. If we go only to recoilless sytems then I assume Davis in the US was the first in 1910.

Gun:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_gun