Small game

This looks like a 7.5 French Mas ctge, except the base is missing.

Brass made, hollow inside , bottom part threated.

It is coming from ATE (Manufacture of Toulouse).

What do you think it is ??? (:
JP
PS : You surely have exctly the same thing in the US but in 30-06 for example.

Nobody has some idea ???

There is exactly the same objet in 9 para, 30 nato, 30 carbine, and so on.

JP

I’ve seen similar things sold as “survival” item holders (for fishing-line, matches, small compasses, etc.), which might make sense for a hunter. Have you got the thread-on base?

Good idea but it is not that. (:
Thanks
JP

I saw an item like these in some scrap brass that came from a big proof house in Europe - I don’t know which one - but the brass was sorted and useful brass was sold here, as I recall by Huntington Die Specialities. A friend sent me a big box of imixed stuff in case there was something I could use for my collection. I did get one 7.9 headstamp out of it.

At any rate, I have no idea what purpose this would serve. What is the answer?

Thanks John for answering.
No answer right now, it is still too early.

I will help a little bite :
This objet is VERY accurate and has a DIRECT relation to the CTGE

And,I repeat, excatly the sames are existing for 9 para, 30-06, aso

Lew, Philippe, Doc John, …, no idea ?

JP

JP - How do I get a 9mm one?

John Moss

[quote=“JohnMoss”]JP - How do I get a 9mm one?

John Moss[/quote]

Lol! John
Sorry I do not have one.
This staff is scarce, you will understand why after.
JP

JP, where and when did you find this new contraption???!!!

Philippe

[quote=“philippe regenstreif”]JP, where and when did you find this new contraption???!!!

Philippe[/quote]
Bjr Philippe,
I found it last year at a flea market.
Why ?
Do you have some idea ?
It must be easier for you than the other people to recognise it because you visited many French ammo factories.
(Despite the fact it was existing also in the US factories also I am sure)
JP

Variable headspace/OAL device, used for setting up or testing ammuniton loading machinery???

I have made similar devices for testing the Headspace on guns and setting die sets in my progressive presses,for which I don’t have regular ground steel Headspace gauges…mine are a bit different, in that I can lock the setting with a lock screw, then measure the HS distance with a dial caliper.

Just a suggestion from my own experiences, seeing that a number of calibres have been mentioned, all of which have been made by French ammo factories for military use at one time or other…

Regards, a notre cousins francaises,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

[quote=“DocAV”]Variable headspace/OAL device, used for setting up or testing ammuniton loading machinery???
Regards, a notre cousins francaises,
Doc AV.[/quote]

thank you for the Hello !

Good idea, but it is not that !!

But it is use in ctge manufacturing (ONLY CTGE, NOTHING RELATED TO THE GUN).

JP

As i mentioned, jean Pierre,
I use this system myself for Gun woirk, but I did suggest it for purely Ammnunition Tool setting as well. and the “ATE” marking would confirm this as being for In-house use…“TE” headstamp made the whole range of calibres mentioned.

A bientot,
Meilleurs salutations,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

[quote=“DocAV”]As i mentioned, jean Pierre,
ATE" headstamp made the whole range of calibres mentioned.

A bientot,
Meilleurs salutations,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.[/quote]
ATE made many calibers : 7.5 Mas, 9 para, 30.06 and so on

If you want the answer I can send it to you by pm.
I am still waiting a little bite , perhaps there are some people here still wanting to think what it could be (but I do not think !! lol!)
JP

JP - How about a cartridge that can have the powder charge varied - perhaps not powdfer at all, just a powder-simulator substance - to achieve either too much weight of powder or too little weight of powder, to be run through the machinery to check the powder-charge sensors?

John Moss

Jean-Pierre. O.K. Time’s up. What’s the answer. Bet you forgot all about this thread! I didn’t!

John Moss

[quote=“JohnMoss”]JP - How about a cartridge that can have the powder charge varied - perhaps not powdfer at all, just a powder-simulator substance - to achieve either too much weight of powder or too little weight of powder, to be run through the machinery to check the powder-charge sensors?

John Moss[/quote]

!!!
Good answer John !!!

It is a weight for a scale in ctge manufacturing.
I will put a picture of the other side of the ctge tomorrow (I am not at my house right now).
On it there is the value in grammes of the total loaded ctge.

It is Philippe who helped you ???
JP

Jean-Pierre,

Philippe has helped me plenty over the decades we have been friends, but not with this. Thirty-Eight years in the Arms and Ammunition business, 55 years as a shooter, 45 years as a reloader and 45 years studying small arms ammunition helped me!

John Moss

Here is the picture of the opposite side of the ctge and of the cork to protect the threading.
You can read (I hope ! I have to take lessons to take pictures !) :
MIN Bonne p=22 gr 89
(Minimum, good weight = 22,89 grams)
This is the weight of the loaded ctge

JP