Smoke pot floating TA practice M8

For those who like smoke and pot, here is a gun show find (I did not buy it).

Very cool find, not seen often. I just bought 2 live M4 pots. For $50 that isnt a bad price, probably could have haggled down a bit too.

1 Like

What is a M4 pot?

HC-M4 smoke pots, same as the one picture but for real combat applications.

1 Like

OK then, what is the difference between combat and dummy pot? Both produce smoke. Is it longer for M4 or more dense fog or something else?

Yeah different type of smoke, longer lasting and denser from what I read. The HC smoke is nasty stuff.

1 Like

As pointed out, the smoke producing compositions are different. The “HC” in the M4 is Hexachloroethane and the “TA” in the M8 is Terephthalic Acid.

Dave

1 Like

Don’t run around it too much, since Wikipedia says:
Hexachlorethane is not particularly toxic when taken orally,[6] but is considered to be quite toxic by skin adsorption. The primary effect is depression of the central nervous system.

Yeah so TA is considered safe for training, it’s not as nasty as HC. If you breath HC mix it will burn your lungs and could kill you. That is why TA is used in the practice smoke pots and HC is used in the combat applications pots. But I think even now they are trying to get away from HC.

1 Like

Germany did by using “KM”.

1 Like

In the seventies we used a lot of HC smoke grenades (Nebelkerzen, smoke candles) during training. There were no special regulations except it was forbidden to use them in confined spaces where the by-product carbon monoxide quickly reached dangerous levels. I remember newspaper reports of at least one accident resulting in deaths caused by NCOs who should have known better.
Apart from that the things got very hot and could easily start a grass fire.

1 Like