Snider 577 Rolled Brass and Coiled Brass

At a recent show I picked up some spent Snider cases. In the bag were 3 cases with rolled brass rather than the more common coiled brass. There is no head stamp or identifying marks.
I’ve been unable to find any information about these. Any information and suggestions for further reading would be appreciated.

Northernboy,

Spent cases with no markings - it will be almost impossible to say where these came from.
Whilst British cases were invariably headstamped, many other countries and small manufacturers put them out without headstamp. See my recent article in the IAA Journal on the armoury in Kabul.
Rolled brass cases are still made today for reloaders in various countries.

Jim

Northernboy
Yes these coiled brass cases if unmarked can be a real pain however when digging for them at shows
sometimes there are empty ones with non spend primers and very easylie put aside however some of these
can be quite valuable because they were made by Bachmann Belgien I have one of these and found out by
accident through the journal DEZ 2013 what I had the whole field of the 577 and the Sniders connected with
them is one of the most fascinating subjects in the cartridge collecting world.Even in those early days they
made emtys for reloaders.
Sherryl

I note that my original post was not as clear as I had hoped.
To be more precise in my question(s):
how common were rolled brass cases compared to coiled brass?
were rolled cartridges ordnance issued or only made for the commercial market?

Given no head stamp or other markings I realize that year and manufacture are impossible to determine. When comparing these cases with verifiable ordnance issued Snider cartridges that the materials and the method of assembly that these cases are very similar.

Usually rolled cases and coiled cases were terms used for the brass foil and attached rim Boxer cartridge. Are you referring to coiled vs solid drawn cases?

Hello Orange.
I’m referring to brass “foil” attached to brass/copper cups. Rather that being wound in a spiral fashion these have a vertical seam with an overlap of approx 1/2 inch.
I don’t seem to be allowed to post pictures on this forum. I hope this is enough for what I am trying to describe.

I am able to post pictures on another forum. There is a photo of 3 rolled brass cases along side a more familiar coiled brass case.
British Militaria Forums — Post #17 on
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/snider-rolled-cartridge-t22574.html.

This topic strayed a bit and my query got lost in the discussions.

Here is a good basic information link:

Posting pictures on the IAA Forum:

Here is a photo of a Canadian Mk I. The edge of the foil underneath the paper is clearly visible.Canadian-Mk-I
Given the millions that were made, I’d say this straight-edge style is not uncommon, just weird to find with the paper torn away.

Thanks for this.
I have several of cases that have the paper wrap still. It’s difficult to tell whether if the ridge is the brass foil edge or the paper. And of course I didn’t want to unwrap to see which. I picked up some MkVI cartridges still with the paper wrap that were lying loose in a bin. They have a faint ridge which I’m now thinking is the paper wrapper, as the ridge is not as pronounced as the one in your picture.

Unfortunately, many vintage cartridges that I’ve come across no longer have the paper, whether from handling wear, moisture damage or lack of understanding of the purpose and information that the paper can tell us.

Any way, thanks to all who have replied to my questions and shared their knowledge.