Some .22" RF cartons which followed me home

.22” RF Cartons

I have not actively tried to collect .22” RF cartridges or cartons but they do seem to follow me around. This is a quick look of some which turned up recently. If anyone needs more info or images of any of them please shout and I will post more.

I know that some of you get exited by lot numbers/dates so here they are, from the top left, going round clockwise:

1. C.I.A.A. SEP 21 1942 (So, slightly older than me!)
  2. B55S ( the ink is smudged so I cannot be sure of the “B”)
  3. RJ—38
  4. PK—54
  5. XP—12
  6. PY—657
  7. VX1594
  8. HO—207
  9. D10 OTZ
  10. S… 189 ( the “S” is very faint and I cannot discern the following letter, if there is one)

I may take some of these along to the ECRA meeting later this month in Germany.

gravelbelly

Edited once to correct a lot number code

See you in H-O!

I hesitated to answer because I may be associated with .22 boxes, which like shotshells are things I have tried to avoid. However, this is an interesting set of boxes so I will take the risk!

First, the red RWS box code is probably B55S not B558. I made the same mistake when I read it, but the RWS format from roughly 1906 into 1950 was Letter-Number-Letter representing Year-day-month. Recently Heinz Held of the German ECRA broke the code. The date on this box is probably 15 September 1932. it is possible that it is 1907, but this seems a bit early. The 22 box people will have to give you a better answer.

The Remington code was probably D1O which is 1931

Cheers,
Lew

[quote=“Lew”]See you in H-O!

I hesitated to answer because I may be associated with .22 boxes, which like shotshells are things I have tried to avoid. However, this is an interesting set of boxes so I will take the risk!

First, the red RWS box code is probably B55S not B558. I made the same mistake when I read it, but the RWS format from roughly 1906 into 1950 was Letter-Number-Letter representing Year-day-month. Recently Heinz Held of the German ECRA broke the code. The date on this box is probably 15 September 1932. it is possible that it is 1907, but this seems a bit early. The 22 box people will have to give you a better answer.

The Remington code was probably D1O which is 1931

Cheers,
Lew[/quote]

Thanks Lew, it is indeed B55S and I have edited my post.

I have noticed two different versions of the 22RF short solid cartons. One containing copper cased rounds called: “Non Rusting” and another containing brass cased rounds called “Non-Corrosive”. The back label of the “Non-Rusting” rounds mentions Kynoch Factories whilst the other says Eley-Kynoch factories.

I am presuming that the copper cased rounds are the earlier ones.

The brass cased ones are marked SK—37 inside the end flap, the other is S?—189 as noted above. Can anyone put a date to these please?

gravelbelly