Headstamp -
(1) 1943 (12 o’clock) D/ (7 o) Z (5 o) Guessing 7.? MM, German
(2) REM-UMC (12 o) 1906 (6 o) Hollow point bullet
(3) DEN (12 o) 43 (6 o) Lt blue paint
(4) S (11 o) L (1 o) 5 (7 o) 4 (5 o) Orange paint
(5) Same as 4 Black paint
(6) P413 (12 o) S* (3 o) 21 (6 o) 38 (9 o) Guessing 7.92/8 MM
[/img]

I’m sure 2-5 are .30-06. #2 may be a commercial loading as no primer crimping and hollow point bullet… #1 has a silver bullet jacket (steel?) and is a rimmed case. #6 has a three stike primer crimp with red seal and the * is a six point star (Czech?).
That’s 1/4" grid on the graph paper.
Found these in my stuff.
Would like to know some details. Thanks

jThe top round looks to me like a .303 British. I can’t quite follow your description of the headstamp.

2 is a commercial .30-06

The ones (3-5) are .30-06 - blue tip is incendiary, orange tip is tracer, black tip is armor-piercing. Den is Denver, S.L. is St. Louis. These were military plants.

The last one is a German 7.9 x 57 mm S.m.K.L’Spur (Armor-piercing tracer) made by Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken A.-G., L

Hi,

#1 Looks like a 303 British made by Dominion of Canada in 1943.

#2 Looks like a 30-06 Springfield made by Remington-Union Metallic Company.

#3 Looks like a US military caliber 30 made at Denver Ordnance Plant, Denver, CO in 1943. Blue tip would indicate this is an incendiary round.

#4 Looks like a US military caliber 30 made at the St. Louis Ordnance Plant. Orange tip would indicate this is a M25 tracer made in 1954.

#5 Looks like the same as #4 except this has a black tip which indicates an armor piecing load.

#6 Looks like a 7.92mm Mauser made at Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken A.-G., L

Thanks guys. Re: the headstamp confusion. In lieu of spelling -o’clock-, I just used the -o-. I’ve got some other .303 I’ll check out, but that spire point silver bullet threw me. These were all loose rounds, no boxes.

Rick

The “7” on the 303 signifies that it was loaded with a Mark 7 bullet, a flat-based 174-grain bullet with a lead rear core and a wood or paper front core.

Rick, the jacket of the .303 is not “silver tip,” but rather a cupro-nickel alloy, very common in Commonwealth loadings.

The .303 is a DI Z 1943 is a defence Industries (Canada) headstamp. There is no “7” on these cartridges ( the Numeral “7” was only introduced in late 1944; previous to that it was “VII” and only on British & Commonwealthy Berdan primed cases. DC Co ( Dominion Cartridge (CIL) did make a batch of boxer .303 in 1941, with the “VII” on it, but the DI ( Production omitted the “VII” in all its production ( 1942-45)

“Z” indicates Nitrocellulose loading ( ie, “granular Powder”).

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Re: the .303 headstamp is as follows

1943 (12 o'clock)

D/ (7 o'clock)            Z  (5 o'clock)

The other headstamp indicators (12 o), (6 o), etc are all o’clock positions of the particular letters and numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

Rick