Some 7.62 NATO from an Interesting Source

Col Hal Burkett commanded the European Foreigh Small Arms Team during WWII. He assembled the first MP44s out of parts found just after D-Day and wrote the first Allied assessment of the MP44. He was also the first into the Walther plant, the day before it was “liberated” and the P38 collectors know that story.

In the late 1940s or early 1950s, he was assigned to the CIA and eventually retired from the Army but continued to work for the Agency. He worked closely with Frankford Arsenal on a varity of small arms ammo and he was the originator of both the Mod 1.1 Carbine load (special bullet for improved terminal effects) and the light bullet 7.62 NATO load, both developed specifically for use by smaller statue Asian soldiers. The Mod 1.1 was to improve the stopping power of the Carbine so it could be used is the primary weapon and the light ball 7.62 was intended to make the M60 easier to control by SE Asian soldiers.

The NATO and Pre NATO loads pictured are from a can of odds and ends that Col Burkett had. Most of the NATO rounds without primers were in 5 round clips and appeared to be intended for some kind of display. The Aluminum case rounds look like they had primers removed, but the steel and brass case rounds look like they were never primed.

I know almost nothing about these cartridges so any advise would be helpful. I’m particularly interested in the unusual (to me) headstamp on the blank and the two Pre-NATOs on the far left. I recognize that the 2nd from the Left is the T70 dummy.

Note: The seven rounds on the right are on the top row of headstamps. From the right, the first three rounds are steel case. Cartridges 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11 are all aluminum case. I’m told that the Match headstamp on the aluminum case was to try to use as many letters as possible on the headstamp to see if it workhardened the case head.

Total weights, from Left to Right:
14-174gr, 13-319gr, 12-227gr, 11-148gr, 10-67gr, 9-262gr, 8-150gr, 7-150gr, 6-196gr, 5-394gr, 4-319gr, 3-235gr, 2-289gr, 1-237gr

Cheers,

Lew

Steel case 7.62x51 "LC 68" NATO - Chinese copies?

Hi Lew, very nice cartridges, thank’s for sharing. The fourt , white red tipped, I suppose light bullet tracer?, and the sixt, the one with the short bullet are new for me. Are number 3,8, and 11 also light bullets? Jan

Lew, more importantly, was there any evidence of the Frankford/CIA/7.62 Tokarev connection???

Jon, The unheadstamped 7.62T you got from me in the little envelop came as pictured and written up in Journal 414 was from Col Burkett. When he gave it to me he said it was FA production. That was another of his projects as was the well known FA produced 9x19mm with the distinctive primer crimp. FA loaded three bullets for him in 9x19mm, a HP, a SP and an API which was a scaled up version of the 30 Carbine API bullet. The identity of the 9mm FA API load didn’t come from Col Burkett but from Frank Hackley.

Jan, I’ll edit the post and put the total weight on each of the cartridges.

Cheers,

Lew

Yes, that I remember. I thought this might be a new discovery. Thanks again for that, a great find.

Lew
The red over white is most likely an XM268 low recoil tracer. The same color combination was also used for the FALRE-1 tracer. However, the latter cartridge is about 30gr heavier. My example of the XM268 weighs 307gr.

The short white tipped bullet is interesting - I’ve not seen this before.

NATO Dave