Some 7.62x51 NATO Loads

I just took these photos for another reason but decided to share them with the Forum.

From Left:

Prototype of German Police Sniper load-solid GM bullet with 4 spiral grooves in tip-hst MEN 308 WIN
Norwegian AP hst / CG 00 \
TTI Armory frangible load-hst PMC 308 WIN
Israeli Tear Gas load- צ ת 4-61
TTI Armory Subsonic SP WINCHESTER 308 WIN
TTI Armory blue moly coated HP bullet- PMC 308 WIN

Below is a box of the Low Recoil ammunition manufactured by the FA for the CIA in a program to provide ammunition for the M-60 that would make it easier to handle for the small statue soldiers in Laos. I got this ammo from the guy who headed the project Col Harold Burkett (USA retired). The bullet is the front bullet from the FA duplex loads. The bullet tip is white. I’d show one but the box is sealed.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew

That’s a great box! I wish it was mine (that’s a not-too-subtle hint just in case you ever want to get rid of it).

Here’s a photo of the low recoil cartridge (on the right) along with the duplex that it derived from.

The low recoil cartridge is the XM256. The 82 grain hollow base bullet proved to be very inaccurate so it was replaced with a solid base 90 grain bullet. The new cartridge was designated the XM256E1. The E1 can be IDd by the headstamp. Neither were officially adopted. The E1 is one of the less common 7.62MM cartridges.

Ray

Ray–You say the E1 can be id’ed by the headstamp, but you failed to list or show the headstamp. So, what is the distinctive headstamp.

I find that very interesting. Do you know what is the muzzle velocity of the XM256E1?

What’s the availability of specimens? Typical price?

Ron

I knew that someone would ask that question. I deliberately left the information out to see if anyone really read my posts.

Now, if I told everyone the secret then everyone would rush out and find one, leaving fewer for me. So, don’t tell anyone but, the XM256E1 is hs FA 66 with [u]no /u symbol.

Stan

The E1 is loaded with 38 grains of IMR 4198 for a mv of 3100 fps. (The XM256 was 41 grains @ 3200).

Specimens are very hard to find (for me at least). I have only three, one sectioned. I have no idea what they are worth. A lot, I hope. But now that the cat is out of the bag the price is sure to drop as everybody locates one. Rick will probably tell everyone in Arkansaw, ;)

Ray

There is also the super-rare Low Recoil Tracer. Those are easily faked so be wary.

Ray

Thanks, Ray. Appreciate the info.

Ray, Is this the box you were talking about!!!

Before you have a heart attack, it is empty and didn’t have the E1 in it when I got it. I don’t know if I have or have ever had an E1 load. The hand written lot is for what was in it. They were the white bullet loads but with an Aluminum case headstamped MATCH FA 66. The reason for this headstamp is they wanted to work harden the aluminum so used the bunter they had with the most letters on it.

Anyway, I thought you’d like to see the box.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew

Another great box! It probably held E1s at one time and somebody probably tossed them to get an empty box!!!

It would not surprise me if some of the XM256 cartridges are actually E1s. I suppose the only way to be sure is to pull the bullet. That’s how I found my first one. I thought it was an XM256, I pulled the bullet to section it and, whoa!, what’s this???

There were several different aluminum cased XM256. Most were gold colored in different shades of gold. Headstamps varied quite a bit also. Everything from FA to FA 66 MATCH.

I have but one. hs FA (+) 66.

There were also the same aluminum cases but loaded with regular Ball. Probably a reference round for firing tests.

Even the fired aluminum cases are hard to find and go for big bucks.

Thanks for sharing the box photos. You lucky dog. ;)

Ray

Some of the white tipped aluminum cased rounds along with a potential reference round.

Dave

What’s interesting about the FA 66 MATCH headstamp is that there were no FA Match cartridges for that year. The last FA Match M72 was 1961 and the last FA Match M118 was 1965. So, they either made special bunters for the Low Recoil project or they had bunters made earlier in anticipation of manufacturing Match ammo for those years, something that did not happen.

Ray