Some 7.9 Mauser Headstamps

Here are some headstamps that came from the collection of the late Jim Russell.

I am not a 7.9 collector, but some of these headstamps are interesting.

I can post side images/answer questions of any rounds of interest.

Paul

The two R.A. 1935 and 1936 are Norwegian Raufoss, but I guess you knew that.

Not sure what you want to know. The short identification is:

Row 1 - All Yugoslavian
Row 2 - Left to right: England for China; Spanish CW possibly British or Spanish made; Spanish CW actually made in Greece.
Row 3 - Greek
Row 4 - German for Spanish CW; Iran; Turkey
Row 5 - Germany, “21” is the date; Raufoss, Norway, Raufoss, Norway
Row 6 - Chinese manufacture
Row 7 - Chinese manufacture
Row 8 - Romanian; unheadstamped (?); German or Portuguese - it is almost
impossible to tell them apart without having both cartridges in hand for measuring, etc. The Portuguese rounds look almost identical to the Polte-manufactured rounds (I have taken both from properly labeled original packets)
Row 9 - Lithuanian
Row 10 - German (DWM); German WWI, unheadstamped ?. The look of this last cartridge’s head is very much like Model 88-type rounds made in Germany for Ireland. If that is what it is, it should have a CNCS RN bullet.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you psg1 and John. I knew a few of the headstamps and recall the posting about the R.A. 1935 and 36 dated rounds.

John, thank you for the quick Id. You absolutley nailed the identification of the last unheadstamped round. It does have a CNCS RN projectile.

Paul

You’re welcome, finally there were some headstamp I could identify, hehehe.

Thanks for showing those nice other headstamps.

Hello John, the marked “21” is not German. It is Spanish. Republican manufacture during the Civil war. Factory 21 of the Subsecretary of Armament.

ximo - I am sorry, I don’t agree with you. It would take official arsenal papers, such as blueprints, patent papers, or the like to convince me of that. Firstly, this headstamp is found in many loadings, including one with an experimental primer. Second, it is also found with the Date “22,” ergo so much for the identification of that number as an arsenal number. The fact that it is sterile
exceot for what I say are dates (note plural), makes sense since in the early 1920s, it was pretty much illegal for Germany to be experimenting with military caliber ammunition, under the treaties from WWI, and it would need to be handled with secrecy. Bullets found in these cases are much more German in nature than Spanish, and even the form of the numbers is more German.

I will acknowledge that it is not impossible that asny Spanish-headstamp cases and rounds could end up in Germany. I mention this because it does not seem likely to me that during a brutal civil war, any factory in Spain would have been experimenting with exotic primer types. Not impossible, but simply, in my view, unlikely.

All that said, if indisputable documentation exists that ties the production (not just use) of these cases to a Spanish Arsenal, I welcome its publication on this forum. While I disagree with your answer, that does not mean that I would like to see any argument about the identification of any ammunition settled beyond question, even if the eventual identification does not agree with my opinions.

If documentation proves I am wrong on this headstamp, I will welcome the correction, and freely admit I was wrong. Any documentation should account for the the reason that if the arsenal was identified as “21,” there is also a “22” headstamp with identical characteristics in number shapes, case measurements, etc. I wish I still had my rounds - I had five of them. One round had a heavy dot after the numbers, but I forget if it was a 21 or a 22.
I am sorry I never photographed them, especially the ones with the experiment primer, and unfortunately, I am not even sure who got them from me at this point.

John, I’ve been curious about that primer type since you published this information in the bulletin (that was about 25 years ago). Does anyone have a picture of it? Saludos, mi amigo.