Some functional types in .60 caliber machine gun cartridges

Here is a photo depicting some types of caliber .60 cartridges (I assume API, ball, incendiary and APIT, if the codes are the same as for .50 caliber).

The cartridges pictured are not pristine because the illustration belongs to a visual inspection standards manual, where only defective samples are included.

Here are some headstamps. Note that according to this book, double primer crimping is as much a defect as a crimping lacking one stake. I don’t know if in other cases/countries double crimping may be done purposely.

I have in my collection only a ball (F A 48) and a dummy with a steel bullet (F A 45). None of them have any star in their headstamps.

schneider,

Very nice. Is that from a U.S. TM? If so do you have the number?

Interesting that the primer crimps shown are declared defective, yet it seems to indicate that they are “Permissible”.

Despite whatever defects are implied, I would be happy to adopt as my own examples of the Incendiary and APIT rounds shown!

Any mention of the electric primed variety?

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]schneider,

Very nice. Is that from a U.S. TM? If so do you have the number?

Any mention of the electric primed variety?

Dave[/quote]

The photos are from an U.S. book, but it’s not a TM. Its title is ORD-SIP-S315, Visual inspection standards for small arms ammunition. Department of the Army, Ordnance Corps, Washington 25, D. C., January 1952.

There’s a similar manual available on the internet, but dating from 1958. The one I have calls the 7,62 x 51 “.30 L. R.”, for light rifle…

And yes, some electric primer rounds are pictured:

I understand by your post that .60 caliber cartridges are not very common among collectors, and the electric primer variation may be rarer still.

schneider,

Thanks for the additional info. That’s a nice book! Regarding .60 cal in general, I wouldn’t say they’re rare, but they are certainly popular collectibles. I’m not sure how common the electric primed version is vs. the percussion primed, but I have seen much more of the later and the electric only in ball loading. The Incendiary and APIT, percussion or otherwise, still elude my grasp…

Dave

With the way the paint has run down the side of the API round, this looks like the paint was put on the tip of the bullet when the round was complete, with the round facing up. I wonder how this was done?