Some Items from the Ormsby Collection I Picked Up

I heard about the Ormsby auction after the fact, a real bummer since I only live an hour away. There were several guys I know who are dealers that knew about, but never said anything…too bad since it sounds like there was plenty to go around.

Anyway, another friend of mine picked some items up from a guy who was there…one was a Japanese wooden ammo box filled with a bunch of sealed 6.5 Japanese ammo, some mixed German, and American ammo, and a bunch of other misc mixed items. There was also apparently a unopened tube of (maybe) Spencer ammo (?)…my friend was telling me it was civil war or thereabouts ammo, in a tube that went into the butt of one of those repeating carbines…but I don’t know which one. Anyway, this guy bought it just to get the tube, and sold the rest of the ammo and the box to him. I grabbed these German boxes and round, along with the American boxes…

So, 1st…two nice boxes of German ammo, both improved high velocity aircraft ammo, one is 100/600 white tracer, the other Glimmspur (I was really excited about finding a box of this stuff!

I also really liked the two boxes of .45…one Shot M15 (never even knew these existed!), one box of foil wrapped Tracer, T30, Lot FA S-17…which is cool, still experimental…when did these get an M number? Its interesting as the inside box is a blank, unprinted box like the shot shells are in, sealed in a paper/foil overwrap, which has the printing on it. There are a few rounds missing from each box, but I don’t see it as a biggie. Can you guys fill me in on some history on these? The other box is just a 10 round Rifle Grenade Cal .30 M3 filled box, LC 44.

Then finally there was a German 20x110 Oerlikon round…another good snag, as I didn’t have one of these in my collection either…

Headstamp on it is cg, WaA68 (I think), 42, 29c. Fuze is a 2cm Kpf. Z.45, dvu 42. Projectile is marked ak 23b 42W, 123g. A standard HE-T round…

Hopefully there will be more floating around here to snag…

Lots of great stuff did come out of that sale, but the auctioneers did such a poor job of keeping items together in their sets and packaging, that I fear that lots of gems were lost or destroyed. At very least, some rare and valuable ordnance items got mixed in with other categories of stuff and into the hands of those who will consider them junk and deal with them as such.