Some more .303

Hi all,
Here are some cartridges I need help to identify:

#1 “KYNOCH BREN” open necked case sealed with shellac; what kind of grenade?
#2 “KYNOCH 303” open necked case sealed with shellac; what kind of grenade?
#3 “MAXIM 1895” blank?
#4 “K1931 VII” what kind of blank?
#5 “KYNOCH 303.S.L.” red bullet tip and bottom of case stained black; non magnetic?
#6 “KYNOCH 303.S.L.” blue/purple bullet tip and bottom of case stained black; non magnetic?

Many thanks
Philippe

Dear Phillipe,

#1 Kynoch Bren Cartridge has crimps on Mouth as if Bullet has been Pulled…Probably a Batch By Kynoch (originally Bulleted) for Bren Gun developments/Testing…who Pulled the Bullet?

#2 Kynoch .303: Ditto. This cartridge headstamp is a Kynoch “Commercial” type.

1 & 2 not necessarily " Grenade Launchers"…The Normal Card/Strawboard Wad of a Cordite Ball case was also varnished.

#3 Maxim 1895: Crimped Blank, made using “Maxim” marked Cases…Probably for in-house demonstration use, or sale with the their guns to both Gov’t and Private Buyers. Maxim-Nordenfeldt and Vickers-Maxim were not SA ammunition makers, but had their “Proprietrary” cartridges made by Kynoch or Eley.

#4 K1931 VII: Air Quality (Ball) Cartridge Case Loaded with Wooden Bullet for use in training on Aircraft Guns of the time (Lewis and Vickers Mod.K (GO)) Both of which required a full bullet profile Blank to feed correctly. May be for Export. The British Gov’t did not adopt a Wood Bullet Blank in .303 until late or after WW II (For Bren Guns, Cart. .303 Mark L10z).

#5 & 6 Kynoch SL “StreamLine” Bullet ( ie, Boat-tailed) used both for Military tests in 1930s, and also for Rifle Club Target Use ( ie, Bisley Matches).

Stain/Varnish marks indicate a variation in Bullet design/mass and also Cordite Charge, and also that these are “Special” Cartridges, not common Mark VII Ball.

Doc AV

not really my area, but I thought I read earlier on this forum that #1 is a movie blank for Bren guns.

cheers
René

No.1 is indeed a movie blank for Bren guns without the wood bullet. Others exist with similar “LEWIS” and “VICKERS” headstamps.

No.2 will be some sort of export grenade blank if the mouth is sealed with shellac. It is not a British military cartridge.

No.3 is as Doc says, made by Eley Bros for the Maxim company. It exists also as a ball round.

No.4 is probably an export round, but may have been produced by Kynoch for trials by the War Office. The first British military wood bulleted blank was introduced in the late 1930s as the Blank L Mark VII with a hollow wood bullet filled with copper oxide dust. It was not very successful asif the round misfed and broke the weapon action was filled with the dust.

Nos. 5 and 6 are as Doc says, competition rounds and the tip colours probably indicate in house load testing.

Regards
TonyE

In fact, I’ve got 2 of the the first cartridge “KYNOCH BREN”. Both of them have an open necked case sealed with shellac very near to the mouth. Both of them have crimps on mouth. The bullets should have been pulled out and sealed with shellac after.
The second one “KYNOCH 303” also have an open necked case sealed with shellac very near to the mouth.
I will post photos when back to France.
Regards
Philippe

Here is the photo:

2 left: KYNOCH BREN
right: KYNOCH 303

Philippe