Some nostalgia

Found this today. It seems Hardy & fils (Hardy & son) becomes rather infrequent as it disappeared already for a long time ago. It was good, it was cheap and it was Belgian (yes, nostalgia) but the businessmodel was doomed to failure…

1 Like

Duqjans - nice picture. Two questions - is the bullet jacketed or lead? The primer looks brass, but it may be nickel. I have two different rounds, both with lead bullets (although each a different mold) and nickel primers.

There are two headstamps. The second one is the same as the one you picture, but instead of simply “9 MM” it says “9 MM LUGER.”

I have always been intrigued by the plastic box that my headstamp like yours came in. It is a Belgian company, Hardy & Fils S.A., 251 Av. Louise, 1050 Bruxelles, but on each end of the box is pictured the Canadian Maple leaf flag, with each end red surrounding a white center with the red Maple Leaf. The cartridge information is printed over this. Mine is for 124 grain lead round nose bullets.

Does anyone know why this company chose to use a Canadian Flag on the box, rather than that of Belgium, if they wanted a flag at all on the box? To me, it is one of the mysteries found on some ammo boxes.

John Moss

Good evening (in Europe) mr. Moss. (Good to hear you after some time!) Hardy & Fils was indeed a Belgian company who delivered ammunition in the eighties and nineties as far as I remember. It is presumable they offered other calibers than 9 mm Luger. At least I have another empty white box for .38SP-357Magnum and long time ago, I bought lead bullets in .38 SP for reloading, semi wadcutter, 158 grains.The cartridge in my pictures is a reload indeed I made myself. During the process, I remarked the H&F headstamp and finished the cartridge. The cartridges came original in those white plastic boxes with a sticker on it of a Canadian leaf. I don’t know why. Maybe the brass supplier was Canadian? H&F sold ammunition and wanted the customer to return the empty cases for refill. Each box came with a refill card too in French and Dutch. Only complete boxes with H&F head stamps were accepted. You had to bring them in to the gunsmith-dealer who returned them to the company and that gave a lot of problems. Actually, I never returned a box for refill. Quality was good in a time 9 mm Luger of known brands was (very) expensive in Belgium. Bullets were all round nose lead, 124grain. No stickers anymore on my boxes. The materiel cracked and let go after all those years.

Thank you for the reply. Good information! Am still interested if anyone knows the reason for the picture of the Canadian Flag on each end of my 9 mm box.

The card that was in boxes wasn’t in mine. It is interesting as well. Are these cards ever found separately. I would be interested in obtaining one.

Thanks again for starting the thread.

John

They offered besides 9x19, 38special and 357mag also 45acp and cal20 shotgun cartridges. (Boxes shown are sadly enough not in my possession).

45acp

1 Like

Some more nostalgia in caliber 12. Found this yesterday.

I think that the owner of this company was Canadian, because my earliest information about him indicates a Montreal address. This was before 1981, when he established his factory at Warisy, Province of Luxembourg, Belgium. The translucent white plastic box shown above is also a product of this company.

Fede - that would explain the Canadian Flag logo on all his boxes. Muchisimas gracias, mi amigo. “Hola y Salud” a todos nuestros amigos de Argentina.

Ciao!

John M.

Found this box last week: image of a complete label of a Hardy &Fils box in .38 special. It is a one-piece sticker on the bottom and sides of the box. Funny it gives storagetemperature in Fahrenheit as Europe uses Celsius. Yes, Hardy was a Canadian. And of course, ammunition was CIP-approved.