Some Odd Brit 9mm Paras-All Legit

While I was rooting around in my British 9mmP drawer I thought some of you may enjoy seeing these. These are all legit loadings, and many I picked up from the engineers who were working on them.

The top row are variations on the plastic/composite/non-sparking/ROTA shortrange practice/etc. bullets that were being worked mostly in the mid-1970s thru the early-1990s. The exceptions are the 1st and 3rd bullets from the left. The very light blue bullet load with the dark blue cms is, as I remember, for equipment distruction. I thought it was in Peter Labbetts book, but I couldn’t find it when I looked. It has been documented recently, perhaps in the IAA Journal. The 3rd from the left is a paint marking cartridge, used by the SAS among others.

The five truncated loads on the second row were developments of powdered metal and epoxy or other binding agents developed by an Ex-Enfield engineer. The purpose of the large white plastic bullet is unknown. The next is a gray compressed metal bullet and the final two are brass and steel bullets with very large hollow points.

The third row are more plastic or composite bullets with the one in the middle being the paint marker bullet (loaded at #3 in top row) and the last is the bullet for load #1 in the top row.

The bottom row starts with an experimental pointed bullet tracer from 1943 including a sectioned bullet. There were two different designs (in Peter Ls book) and I have no idea which the loaded round is. The next two rounds are a big question. Both are H^N 44 headstamps and both have chalk bullets that have been lacquered. I found one when I was in England and Peter L found the other. We suspect they are some type of marking load, but Peter never found any documentation on them. The next is an unusual Kynoch blank from 1955. The next two bullets (brass and GM) are tubular with a hole the length of the bullet. The Brass bullet in the next to last load on row 2 is also probably a tubular. The steel bullet with the GM driving band was reportedly developed to shot plugs out of tires, but seems like overkill. It has a huge deep HP but it is not tubular but though one variation has a small hole in the base. The last three are experimental bullets with various cannelures from the 1960s. The original bullet design from 1941 was intended to have a cannelure (Per Peter L page 4) but the cannelure never made it into the specification. They apparently took another attempt in the 1960s.

At the bottom is the core from the GB Semi-AP round with the C-P headstamp DD/L/Sk/3371B and a sectioned bullet from the H^N headstamped SAP round DD/SAA/222. Finally are two strange primers. The first is a tiny primer with a bushing in the pocket and the last is a very large primer in a loaded round. This last load may not be original, but could be a reload of some sort.

Absolutely amazing, thanks for posting Lew!

WOW!

Lew- Great stuff, but I am curious about the inked markings.

Done by the folks who made them, or your inventory markings? If the latter, how about sharing a bit on how it works, as others may find it helpful to keep track of their items, and correlate info with the cartridges in their collection.

John, You are right, those are my inventory markings. I have the collection in a TurboPascal database I created many years ago, and those are the record numbers in the database. Know anyone who would like to tutor me as I convert to Access???