Some Older .30-.30

Excuse the poor photo taken under incandescent, but you folks should know this stuff by heart.

A friend came in to work today and said “You shoot .30-.30, here’s some boxes someone gave to me”.

They are all full and in pretty good shape. Note the Remington boxes are different (1430 and 1330). Can you tell me the age, or what I should look for to ID the age? The end stamps do not indicate age.

I suppose they are worth something more than new ammo but not much.

North Bender-- The Remington product codes 1330 and 1430 were first used in 1946. The box style you show was used until 1964.

I can’t help much on the Winchester box, but I think it dates from the late 1930’s, but I am not an expert on Winchester
boxes and could be completely wrong.

Thanks Ron,

The Remington seems harder to specifically date, but I did get a message about the Winchester:

[i]"The Winchester box dates from 1940 to 1946 when the box style was changed. According to the book “100 Years of Winchester Cartridge Boxes”, that particular “Bear” box is somewhat scarce in .30 (.30-30) and has an estimated value of $150 - $300 if in good+ condition.

If the cartridges in the box were in the box when new, the headstamps will be Super Speed .30 W.C.F."[/i]

And that is what the headstamp in that box reads.

North Bender–We can date the Remington boxes a little closer. Is the headstamp “REM-UMC” or “R-P”. The “R-P” headstamp was introduced in 1960. Also, the shade of green is lighter after about 1955. I suspect your boxes date from around 1950.

North Bender–Concerning the Winchester box, you can date it closer. It has to be 1940-42 as there was no civilian ammunition production after 1942 until late fall 1945 after WW-II ended. I don’t think Winchester used that style of box when they resumed production. Since, it was only made for about 2 years, that would account for it’s scarcity.

Ron, you are The Man!

The Remington headstamp is the “REM-UMC”. And your argument about the Winchester dating to 1940 - 1942 makes sense to me. Thanks.

RTG Sporting Collectables just sold one of these 30-30 “Grizzly” boxes for $250, and reported another one went for $450. They said the 30-30 was the second hardest caliber to find in the “Grizzly” box, behind the .32.

I think it’s going to be a good year.

Bender

You might be able to pin the W box down even further. I don’t believe Big W introduced the Silvertip until early 1941 and, as Ron said, they probably stopped production in 1942 due to the War.

Ray

Winchester introduced the Silvertip Bear boxes in the fall of 1940, but, as with alot of things, some calibers may not have been available until a bit later. And as Ray says, certainly the war curtailed the production of these and all other civilian ammunition.

Thanks Ray and Randy,

Great forum!