Something Like a Hi-Vap and Dardick Tround Triplex

I know you guys are really good identifying the experimental rounds. The one below is made of gray plastic and looks like a hybrid between a Dardick Tround and a Hi-Vap. It is 5.56 caliber, I believe.

I don’t know exactly what this is but would appreciate any history or information about this round, especially its name.

Thanks.

Heavyiron

Dardick Tround. The only commercially successful variant. Three, 6mm white ceramic projectiles used in the drilling industry, for when they hit hard rock and need to break through it.

Examples include a clear plastic dummy, an all black case, an all grey case, a black case with grey primer end cap, and a grey case with black plastic primer end cap.

If I can, I will try to post a picture of the projos.

Thank you 50m2hb. I had no idea these were a commercial cartridge. I also saw one in .50 caliber I believe.

Any photos would be appreciated.

Heavyiron

White ceramic, 6mm Dardick Triplex Tround projectile (right), standard 5.56 M855 projectile (left)

The .50 variant was larger, of course, but was only a single bullet, Ball, API, APIT, etc. several case variants.

In the Tround series, the pistol and light MG calibers are the most common.

There is also the SPIW flechette tround made for the H&R entry in the competition. It didn’t last too long. It was “belt” fed.

I can take a photo if you’d like.

Ray

Very interesting info guys.

Thanks for the pics. The photo explains some things I was looking at. For example, why weren’t the bullets jacketed. Duh! Ceramics can be really high tech material and very hard and brittle like the ceramic knives or very porous like Chobham armour.

Ray, if you a photo of the flechette round, it would be interesting to round things out.

I never realized there was a commercially successful tround variant. They don’t still use these things do they?

Heavyiron

Here’s the H&R tround. Fore and aft views. The flechettes were the standard AAI 5.56x57mm. The “belt” was actually a plastic strip.

The H&R SPIW was a triple-bore monstrosity that weighed almost 25 pounds. The three flechettes were fired simultaneously, one down each barrel. As you can imagine, the entry did not last long and was rejected almost immediately.

Your H&R tround is amazing Ray…and you said we had all the good cartridges over here!
Jim

Heres a scan out ofSPIWthat shows the thing that fired Rays round; pity the poor grunt who would`ve had to hump THIS thing through a rice paddy.

I had samples of these rock “drilling” rounds in my 2008 Rimless Groveless display at SLICS. This is what I had noted about the rounds, and was copied from various printed materials. The last paragraph covers the types displayed.
David Dardick, Tround International Inc. has developed, along with the help of Dresser Industries, a drill bit that fires ceramic bullets so as to pre-fracture, hard rock formations at the drill face, still allowing a somewhat conventional drill to work at the same time. Initial testing found this method to be from 200 to 400 percent faster through hard rock formations, and in side-by-side testing the Tround bit showed little wear when compared to the conventional bit. An added benefit is that seismic signal measurement is easily accomplished.
The prototype drill bit was loaded with 500 salvos, with the commercial bid holding 5000 salvos. Working on the open chamber principle, a sensor fires the gun when hard formations are encountered.
These are .25 Cal. Dardick Triplex Tround Rock drilling variations, and a 47.2 grain ceramic projectile. All show a 2-piece case, a copper primer in a copper washed steel battery cup, and three ceramic bullets. We assume the case color variations may pertain to a certain load strength, but are not sure.

It is kind of hard to see it, but the projectiles, which are held within clear plastic sabots, are actually angled outwards.