Sons of Guns

The Discovery Channel’s “Sons of Guns” program this week (4/4/12) was a little more interesting than usual, containing segments on firing a Volcanic pistol (including shop-making of Rocket Balls), and also firing of a 40mm Bofors gun. Worth watching if you get Discovery.

Unfortunately, not a lot of detail was provided on exactly how they made the Rocket Balls, or how they loaded the 40mm shells. I’ve often wondered why some of the Italian replica makers haven’t tried making Volcanic pistols, especially as it probably would not be that difficult for someone to produce the ammunition for them, as no brass case is required.

Many years ago, I had a Volcanic pistol but never fired it. I would definitely be interested in having a shootable replica.

It is an interesting program as long as it does not get to “soap opera” they do not give loading information for the same reason we do not discuss it here liability. Vic

Is this an opportunity to explore the origins of the term “son of a gun” my take on it is that ships of the line had females on board, against the rules but present none the less. These women provided a full range of services to the crew including the obvious one. Since on a ships gundeck there was little except the guns these services were provided across the guns.
So a “son of a gun” was a shipboard conceived child. The lowest of the low. Usually infected from birth with congenital syphilis they were mad or bad from birth and life expectancy was low.

That’s been the explanation I have always heard for the SoaG phrase - or some variation thereof. But of course the same thing also happened on land involving armies and their camp followers throughout history. And it still happens. So there were and are also SoaGs evoking non-Naval weaponry. I think it’s just another and more polite way of describing a child having an anonymous father rather than using the B-d word.

I find the SoG program to be somewhat hokey in its explorations of the social and romantic interactions of the gunsmith shop crew. However, having a DVR, I simply zip through the commercials and non-shooting portions and cut to the chase. I find I can go through an episode in 10-15 minutes. I do the same thing for many other programs of a similar nature.

Most of my TV viewing is with the History channels or Quest but I find them almost unwatchable at times because of the long interuptions for ads. I think I am getting old and crotchety.

On the gun forums I read I see a lot of criticism about Son’s of Guns TV show and the stupid things they do that make it a soap opera TV show. Like a lot of people, I do not tune in for the drama portions but do enjoy watching things that go on in a big gun shop. Even if vague on the gunsmithing and reloading details, it still exposes me to thing I had not seen before.

I will tell you that I would much rather see more reality shows with guns than ANY more shows involving the Kardasian clan.

Love that show. They had a sweet 40MM Bofors on that episode also that was awesome. They had to manufacture their own ammunition for it. The Volcanic ammo was so cool. Did not look to hard to make.

J

Were I to load “Rocket Balls” for a volcanic I would think that drilling the lead bullet would be a lot better if they held the bullet in some type of bracket and used a drill press or milling machine rather than holding the bullet in hand and using a hand drill’

They bought 7mm pinfires from me last year for an episode that aired earlier this year. We actually recorded a couple takes of a phone convo with Charlie and I, but apparently it did not make it to the show. I was mentioned as “Some guy they found online!” =)