South african air force ww 1

There were some South African collectors visitng the forum from time to time in the past. Anyone still out there ?

I have a WW1 era German artillery shell dated 1914 which has been trench arted with the following logo : Springbok head facing front in a badge with crown on top. The lettering says; " SOUTH AFRICAN AIR FORCE BOMBER SQUADRON B.B.M.O. "

This was a pretty small unit according to my research.

Any idea what B.B.M.O. means ?

I am sending it to the SAAF museum later this year but would like to know more if possible.

I have no idea, but it sounds really interesting. I love artillery!

Jason

I guess the South African Air force was a seperate branch of the RFC in those days(?) In which case you could fire off an e-mail to the Imperial War Museum in London or the RAF Museum at Hendon.
They both have knowledgeble people on the payroll and are only too happy to answer questions.

Thanks. Tried that-no go. Hopefull for some SA collectors who used to come on here from time to time.

These people may know:

saairforce.co.za/

af.mil.za/

The term “Air Force” only became current AFTER WWI; During the War they were either “Royal Flying Corps”, Australian Flying Corps, etc. or even “Naval Air Service”

So the trench art could have possibly been done “post-W I”, maybe from a souvenired or de-loused shell case.

Just an observation>

Doc AV
AV Ballistics

Thats a good point Doc. The RFC became the RAF in 1918 so any German shell dated 1914 becomes open to question.
The trenchart website says that most artillery shells were done after the war and the fact that they are a bomber squadron looks very 1918 to me.

When did the expression “Bomber Squadron” first appear?

[quote=“DocAV”]The term “Air Force” only became current AFTER WWI; During the War they were either “Royal Flying Corps”, Australian Flying Corps, etc. or even “Naval Air Service”

So the trench art could have possibly been done “post-W I”, maybe from a souvenired or de-loused shell case.

Just an observation>

Doc AV
AV Ballistics[/quote]

This is SOUTH AFRICA in question and there seems to be disagreement about just what and when their AIR FORCE was called that. They had an air unit before they were co-opted into the Royal.